Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, February 9, 2024

This week with red...

I've been working on a little of this and a little of that this week.  My next border work for the Stay at Home Round Robin involved some red.  Still playing with layouts for the HSTs I made.


Or maybe I will turn them into flying geese?  Decisions, decisions, lol!


Along the way - for leaders and enders I sewed lots of strips together out of my red scrap bin.  It seems to contain a lot of narrow strips right now!  This *might* turn into something for my February Table Scraps project.


And two more red zipper blocks were sewn for that RSC project.  I made 30 of these blocks last year, and now just planning to add a couple more each month this year.

These are both favorite fabrics of mine!  I especially would love to have more of that floral - I think I bought it from Joann's for the backing of a quilt I gave away.

Here are all five of the red zipper blocks.

I am determined to move an older UFO forward this month - the Rainbow Jungle quilt top, finished way back in 2020!  The first step toward that was piecing a backing for it, so that's done.  I stocked up on some batting, too, so it's time to get the top pressed and get these layers ready for quilting!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday!

 


15 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

You’ve been busy sewing with your red scraps this week! That floral fabric is very pretty. The hearts are perfect for sewing just before Valentine’s Day

Linda said...

All your reds are pretty! I love those zipper blocks. And you are getting ready to finish another quilt - will you machine or hand quilt it?
Hubs and I were talking about you and Mike yesterday - I told him how he doesn't like the cold (he said "smart man") and about how you play golf together. We both miss playing golf, but we decided not enough to buy clubs - lol!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your zipper blocks and the trees - have fun quilting.

Kate said...

So many options with HSTs, looking forward to how you combine this weeks and last week's borders for the SAHRR. Lots of pretty reds in your blocks this week. Good luck with making progress on your UFO this week.

Sara said...

That floral fabric is a good one! Looks great in the zipper block. I like your options for the SAHRR.

grammajudyb said...

Great job on your zipper blocks! Red is a fun color to play with. Question, when you build the zipper block, do you see the center rows of squares vertically or horizontally in two? I’ve done it both ways, and am not sure which I like better! That floral would work with lots of other colors, wouldn’t it? I was thinking about your tree quilt just the other day! I wondered if I’d somehow miss the finish! Wonder what the next round for SAHRR will be?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What fun zipper blocks and whatever you decide to do with the border on your SAHRR will be the right choice! Your rainbow jungle is fabulous!

Cathy said...

Oh, I just love those Zipper blocks! I’m craving some serious sewing time. Like you, I’ve been sewing together strips (and old selvage blocks) to make a column of color. But mine is only 3 ½ inches wide and I haven’t shown it. Hopefully by next week I can get back to blogging.

Susie H said...

Great job on getting some red moved along. I remember watching you build the Rainbow Jungle quilt. Good job moving it right along too. It'll be quilted before we know it!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

great job in using red in all your projects! I just can't pick a favorite!

Jenny said...

I remember the Rainbiw Jungle quilt! And always enjoyed seeing your colourful trees pop up each month.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I too remember your Rainbow Jungle...so pretty. And your Scissor blocks. They will make a striking quilt, Dian.

Maggie said...

What a lovely array of projects and the UFO with the wonderful colours is gorgeous.

The Joyful Quilter said...

The RED scraps are flying under your machine needle, Diann, and best of luck with some UFO progress, too!

Vicki in MN said...

Red is the perfect color for February! You made me think I can join in for Table Scraps this month too:)