Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, February 16, 2024

A Happy Scrappy Finish!

Earlier this week, I put the last binding stitches into Rainbow Bowties and it is now a finished quilt.  I think this might be one of my favorite quilts ever, but I probably say that with every finish!  The bowties for this quilt were my handpiecing project for 2023.  Here's a photo from July - halfway there, maybe?


I ended up with 80 blocks total, and kept hand-piecing them together into 
larger and larger groups until the whole center was together.

By then, I was ready to get this thing finished, so I machine sewed the borders on!  I did hand quilt this quilt, and used the same green for the binding as I used for the borders.


The backing is the bright Tumbling Blocks wide-backing print that I've used on a couple other quilts already this year.  It goes really nicely with the rainbow theme.


So - here it is, all finished!


This is not a very big quilt, 40 x 48, but I noticed when I was quilting and sewing on the binding that it's a good size for covering up in when I'm sitting in my comfy chair, reading, watching TV, or doing some embroidery or cross-stitch.  I think it will get used that way a lot!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday!









 









26 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a happy quilt! So many wonderful scrappy bow ties to cover you up as you read or stitch in your chair. The quilting looks fabulous. Great finish!

Michele McLaughlin said...

So lovely and I adore the backing! Well done Diann!

Linda said...

This is a beautiful finish Diann. I always loved seeing this one while you were working on it, and I love the green border and binding! It looks perfect next to your chair.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Congrats on the finish! It's awesome...a bowtie block quilt is on my bucket list!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well done and awesome finish and to know you hand pieced and hand quilted this is a plus isn't it - such an accomplishment -that back is so great for that piece.

Kate said...

A very bright and fun finish! Even better you have a place for it where you can regularly enjoy all that color.

piecefulwendy said...

What a cheerful, happy quilt, and it looks so good with your chair! I hope it just brings joy each time you see it. Find a good book and snuggle under the quilt to celebrate its finish!

PaintedThread said...

Looks great!

Mari said...

This is lovely, Diann! Congratulations on a great handwork finish!

Nann said...

I like the ring setting for your bowties and I love the cheerful green!

Sara said...

That's a lovely finish and looks great with your chair too. I do love Bowtie blocks, but haven't made any in a couple of years. You've given me a nudge back in that direction.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is so gorgeous! I love it - it has so much positive energy and the hand quilting is the cherry on top!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A delightful quilt Diann. I love this cheerful scrappy take on the well-loved traditional block.

Astrid said...

Congrats on the finish! It's a beautiful scrappy quilt, bright and cheerful. Perfect backing. It looks great on your chair.

Cathy said...

Hand pieced AND hand quilted? It's fabulous, joyous, and what a treasure! Congrats to you.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy dancing for your fun RSC quilt finish, Diann!!

Hubblebird said...

What a lovely quilt. I’m always so surprised at how a bow tie quilt looks depending on how you squint your eyes! Is it a bow tie, or is it a snowball?

Jenny said...

Such a lovely finish. You've spent a lot of time quilting this little beauty

Chantal said...

Congrats on this beautiful finish. I love that green border. I'm happy that you will, personally, get to use it. It is such a great reward when we can use our own work. Enjoy! ;^)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Hooray for a finish! What a super happy quilt it is! It will be perfect for keeping the chill away!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The cheerful bowties are wonderful. The whole quilt reads as a happy mix of color and shapes. The green border gives a festive finish.

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on such a cute finish. It is the perfect size for a lap quilt. I wish I could hand quilt. I've only tried it once and my stitches were so inconsistent.

Chrisknits said...

Wonderful finish! It is just too adorable.

Vicki in MN said...

Congrats on this finish, well done . Now go curl up with it while working on your next hand stitching!

Cathy said...

Oh, the bow ties quilt finished up beautifully! It’s particularly special because you hand pieced and hand quilted it. A cheery, happy quilt! May you enjoy many happy hours in its warmth!

Allison said...

Such a lovely quilt and as you say just the right size to keep you cosy as you stitch.