Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Midweek Update

I decided over the weekend that I wanted to make myself a new tote bag.  I've made quite a few of these over the years - they're adapted from an older Missouri Star Quilt Co video.  I've changed the size and added some features that I thought were useful, too. 

I wanted to use some of this Charley Harper penguin print as a focus fabric for it.  I can't even remember where I got it, but it's been in my stash for awhile and never quite fit into any other projects.  I'm pretty sure I bought a 1/4 yard of it.


I started by pulling some coordinating scraps from my stash and making this square-in-a-square type block that involved a new technique a local quilty friend shared.

To make this block, I started with a 4.25 inch center, and matched it with a square of the gray the same size.  Place the two squares right sides together, sew all the way around with a 1/4 inch seam, and then mark an X from corner to corner and cut it open with scissors to get the first square corners.  Press open and you get the first square-in-a-square.  You can just keep doing this until you reach the size you want - I did this process three times to get about a 9.5 inch block.

I sewed this block with some more of the penguins, dots, and gray into a big panel that measured 16 X 26.  Next step is to quilt it to some batting and trim down to size.

The lighting in this photo makes the background of the penguins look really brown, 
but it in real life it's definitely gray!

I turned this into a "box" with a flat bottom by boxing the corners.


Follow the same process with a piece of lining fabric, add some pockets for phone and keys, and a magnetic snap...  Handles are sewn in when you layer up the lining and outer part of the bag.


And voila - my finished bag!

The finished tote measures about 15 inches wide X 11 inches tall. 

Next up is to get going on the final border of my Stay at Home Round Robin project.  More about that in my Saturday post!

Linking up Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.







 








15 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your new bag is gorgeous, I love these cute penguins and the fabric combo used!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That is so appropriate for you! Cute penguins.

The Cozy Quilter said...

A perfect bag for you!

grammajudyb said...

Great job on that tote! You did a good job keeping every penguin on its feet! LOL! Directional fabric takes planning! That’s a great technique for SinaS blocks! Keeping that in my notebook!
Love it!

Kate said...

That is so cute! Love the penguins! Really like the bag design too, very handy to hold what you need.

Vicki in MN said...

What appropriate fabric for you! I have seen that method but never tried it.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is awesome in so many ways. I absolutely love it, Diann. I always have a deep appreciation when folks can stitch such useful items. How neat to have that penguin fabric too.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, that bag is certainly you! I like that penguin fabric - I haven't seen that design, but it's really fun. You'll get a lot of use out of that bag, I'm sure!

PaintedThread said...

Penguins! It looks amazing. And useful, too!

Cindy Berry said...

That is adorable! Great job.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aaah this is an adorable bag, Diann. Beautiful job. Love the penguin fabric. How perfect! Enjoy your day. Hugs.

Susie H said...

Sweet bag -- why penguins? Lol!!! Definitely has your name all over it.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

You picked the perfect fabric from your stash for your bag! It is definitely YOU!

Laura said...

I have never seen this fabric, but the penguins are certainly representative of you! Great bag! 👍

Linda said...

What a perfect bag for you!! I love the style with that flat bottom, and gosh it looks like you bought it from a store. Nicely done!