Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, October 22, 2021

Table Scraps in Bright Green

This month's Table Scraps placemat started with some Kaffe charm squares and a small piece of Kona Butter out of my solids drawer.  (It's a very pale yellow, and hard to photograph correctly!)  I decided to make hour glass blocks (3.5 inches finished) this time.  


I was able to make 12 hour glass blocks, and then in order to bring the piece up to size, I added a couple strips of Kona Grass Green to two sides.   Here it is prior to quilting.


And, ta-dah!  Placemat #10 for the year!

This photo makes the yellow look really bright, 
but look at this one...


This time the yellow is all washed out!  
However, this does show the bright green backing - a fun print!  There was just enough left of the backing and Kona Butter to piece the binding.

Here's the whole rainbow of placemats!  Pink, red, orange, yellow, two greens, two blues, a turquoise, and a purple.


My LQS has a group that is sewing placemats for Meals on Wheels, so I'm hoping to pass these on to them in the next week or so.  I'll still work on Table Scraps projects in November and December, but I'm thinking mug rug size now.  I've got some ideas and plans - more on that next month!

Thanks, Joy, from The Joyful Quilter, for this fun year long challenge!  I think maybe I've used up a few scraps! 

Sharing at SoScrappy  for ScrapHappy Saturday.
And at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!



















15 comments:

Ivani said...

You made another beauty, Diann. All your placemats for this year are very pretty, and you made them for a great cause. Congrats.

Linda said...

Your bowtie placement and those colors made such a pretty placemat! What a nice array of them! We don't have MOW here in our tiny town, but there is some kind of meal provision service, so I need to find out and ask if I can make some placemats. You make it look like fun!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well look at those greens - so pretty!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun Light/Bright GREEN scraps, Diann!! Congrats on completing your TABLE SCRAPS Challenge entry with a week to spare. Your placemat collection looks awesome!

grammajudyb said...

I love looking at all your placemats! So many different blocks used! Lots of colors! Awesome!

sandi s said...

You have made some beautiful placemats! It will go to a great cause. Hugs,

Julierose said...

Just a lovely group of placemats...I especially like today's version with that butter yellow--so cheerful--nice work on these hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

Such a cheerful group of placemats, Diann, and such a great idea making them for Meals on Wheels. That lime green is so pretty (the yellow is too, but you know I love lime green)!

Angie said...

What a fun collection of place mats - and what a great organization to donate to!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

A rainbow of placemats--what a great idea! And all of them are different, lovely, and use up your scraps! I am sure the recipients will be thrilled. Congratulations!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Another great little finish. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Bonnie said...

Great finish on your placemats. And great that you will give them to meals on wheels. I keep thinking on checking with our local MoW to see if they can use some. I need to jump in and do my light and bright greens....

Deb A said...

You have done a great job making pretty placemats this year. I need to call my local MOW and see if they would like some for next year.

Jane said...

Great bunch of placemats Dian.
My local group sews placemats for MOW and they are always an interesting assortment.(the mats, not the meals).
Jane

Paulette said...

Those are such great greens! I love that Kona butter color (have used it in a quilt or two myself), and it looks really nice against the green colors. You've got a wonderful collection of placemats!