Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

I Like Thursday #241

It's Thursday and time to share the stuff that made me smile this week.  We have lots of wild rabbits in our neighborhood this year, and daily we see them in our yard.  This little guy was enjoying a cool spot, hunkered down in the grass yesterday afternoon.


Now the bunnies aren't unusual around here, but we've lived in our house for 44 years, and never seen this sight!



It was early Saturday morning, and Mike looked out into our backyard, and said, "What is that?!"  And then, "There's a deer in our yard!"  Of course, he grabbed his camera and we went outside, so she got pretty nervous and hopped over the fence into the neighbor's yard.  Then she stayed there for several hours.

She must have felt very safe at this point!  
Plus there was lots of yummy grass to graze on.

Now and then, she would get a little worried about us and get up again.

Look at those ears!

Those of you who live out in the country or in more rural areas are probably used to seeing deer regularly, but we live in a small city, in a 70s neighborhood with small yards and lots of fences.  And lots of traffic on the main roads.  Our big wondering is, where did she come from?!  

Things are blooming and growing in my vegetable garden.  These are pumpkin blossoms!


A little something is trying to bloom in my sewing room this week, too.  I pulled out this tiny embroidery design that I stitched back in February during the Crabapple Hill Studios stitch-along, intending to make something out of it for a friend.  I only got as far as trimming it into this little rectangle, but my plan is to make a pincushion out of it.


I've been reading my July book club book this week - it's kind of a quirky one, but a fascinating topic for a story.  If you could go back in time and have a conversation with someone to do over, who would you pick?  Especially if you knew you couldn't change what was happening in the present...

Definitely quirky... but interesting to contemplate!

And, finally, my advice for you is this - 

Hope that made you laugh!

Joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color for I like Thursday!























14 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I enjoyed Before the Coffee Gets Cold, wonderfully different story. We have rabbits and deer too, and a lot of other wildlife!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we are in the country and we should be seeing a lot of deer but they really hide in the woods grazing - occasionally I will look out one of the windows that looks out to the woods and I will see anywhere from 1-7 deer grazing at the edge between the forest and the yard but I don't see them real often.

Vicki in MN said...

Yes we see deer almost daily here, we have twin fawns again this year. Sometimes they get so curious they come towards us, that makes me nervous if momma deer is near she doesn't like that.

grammajudyb said...

We have deer in our area. Lots of bunnies this year too! It’s been so hot there, she was probably seeking water. I’m afraid with our heat this year, the snakes will gravitate toward mt watered green grass. Haven’t seen any yet!
I’ll be adding that book to my TBR list!. I’m working on the crabapple hill designs also. A pincushion is a great idea for some of those itty bitty designs!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I love that - sewing because murder is wrong! HAHA! Umm, yeah it is. I have seen quite a few deer lately. It is kind of scary to see them grazing right next to the highway, knowing they could easily hop in front of anyone. While I work in a very urban area, in the middle is a botanical garden. The deer seem to thrive and live on their land, and pop out to stand in the road. One guy is HUGE. I wouldn't want to tangle with him. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

piecefulwendy said...

Every now and then we have deer running through our backyard, and sometimes evidence of them bedding down for the night in our long grass. They are such beautiful animals, as long as they don't munch my plants! Haven't heard of that book, and the sewing meme makes me chuckle. Bunnies are so cute, aren't they?!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
We have bunnies too, Deer, not so much. About 5 years ago, a mother and a baby deer wondered into our yard. We have a big woods behind our barn, so I'm assuming this is where they cam from. Last year we had baby hawk..it stayed around for awhile, but haven't seen it this year.
Your pumpkins look great. I love your "Shine" piece. It will make a cute pin cushion. Sewing, Because Murder is Wrong...and yes it did make me smile. Have a great day!

Sandra Walker said...

When we lived in Alberta we had tons of deer and moose in our yard all year long. Here in southern Ontario on the outskirts of a small town, never. They amaze me how they survive. We have tons of rabbits this year, and a ground hog surprised my husband yesterday when he was cutting grass! Isn't it so gratifying to grow food?

PaintedThread said...

Great likes! Love the photos of the bunny and deer in that luscious grass! Yay for veggie blossoms.

LA Paylor said...

my garden is so behind yours. Blossoms already, I want to plant pumpkins! I am a vegetable farmer wannabe. A deer? yikes. Once in our Maryland neighborhood we saw deer, very strange in an urban setting surrounded by water, but we learned they swam over. then once, a coyote!!!

MissPat said...

Deer and rabbits, both, although not as many deer this year. They've been feasting on the phlox and other things in my garden. Also woodchucks, squirrels, chipmunks and the smell of the occasional skunk. The worst pests this year, though, are the gypsy moth caterpillars. They have defoliated a maple tree in our front yard. Yes, the sewing meme made me chuckle.
Pat

Linda said...

That little Shine piece will really make a cute pincushion. Yay for your pumpkins! Lol on that sewing advice. ;)
We used to see deer frequently on our acreage but have not seen any here in the subdivision. That one looked like it needed a safe place or maybe it was separated from its family, poor thing! We have a family of rabbits that live under our backyard shed. My husband feeds them lettuce and carrot scraps. We really enjoy them.
Have a great weekend Diann!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the illustration of the woman in an elegant kimono stitching away. Although I think the words are not the original!?! Haha! The deer are so elegant and beautiful, aren't they. DH says--but there's a whole woods down there that they can eat, so why do they have to eat in our yard!?!

Libby in TN said...

I had a "murder" day recently and sewed a bunch of HSTs to calm and reorient myself.