Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

I Like Thursday #240 - Staying Cool!

I love summer, but I'm not sure I like...

this..

Although you might notice that the humidity is only at 14%.
That's a really good thing, especially when it's this hot!

This pot of red petunias doesn't seem to mind the heat!

Bright, hot afternoon sun!

I've been enjoying some embroidery this week - it's a good needle and thread activity for hot days because there's not too much fabric to cover you up!  I finished up this little Kathy Schmitz design.  1976 is the year Mike and I were married.


Then I started on the most recent one I had traced from the One Stitch at a Time club February download.  I love birds, and Kathy must, too, because she often includes them in her designs.

A little early morning cool was found when stitching out on
the back porch!

Updated Saturday evening: I've continued working on this one each evening, and have the nest done now.  This will be my Sunday slow-stitching.

Sharing this at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.



Another cool activity... an iced vanilla latte with a good book in our air-conditioned Starbucks! 

Thanks go to my bloggy friend at the Faith, Trust, and Breast Cancer blog who recommended this book.  Sonia Sotomayor is someone I don't know anything about and really should!  She was born the same year as me - 1954 - and look what she has achieved.  I'm only 20 pages into the book, but fascinated by her life story already.

Well, I cooled down long enough at Starbucks that now I'm too cold!  Time to get back out in the nice, warm day!  😉

Joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color for I like Thursday!














19 comments:

grammajudyb said...

You petunias look fabulous! My phone registered 103 on Tuesday! But “officially “ it was only 101! I say the recommendation of Sonia Sotomayor’s book on miaismine’s blog too! As soon as I finish Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s “My Own Words”, I’m going to seek that one out!

Michele McLaughlin said...

103 is no fun! :( I love your embroidery projects! That bird on that fabric looks really wonderful! Great choice! How do you like Sonia Solomayor's book? It looks good! Have a great weekend and love those petunias!!!

Libby in TN said...

Geesh, y'all are hotter than us in the deep South! I will look for that book, too.

LA Paylor said...

whew! a cool drink and cool book, just what is needed!

piecefulwendy said...

Phew - that is dry heat! We have another warm day here, and my poor plants are seriously needing a good rain. I really want to go do some quilting and I really want to go get a few more books. Tough choices!!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Your embroidery is very pretty. As are the
flowers. Have a great day!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Be thankful for the 14% humidity with that heat. Your petunias are gorgeous. Love your stitching.

PaintedThread said...

Oof, that's HOT! I like how your embroidery is coming along.

MissPat said...

That kind of heat is hard to live with. We're in a cool down period, so temps and humidity are comfortable, but we desperately need some rain. We've had less than 2" in the last 6 weeks and everything is drying up. Doing handwork and reading are good choices for hot days.
Pat

Susie H said...

I know that even with low humidity, hot IS hot! I'm sitting outside on the deck right now at 5:30am and it's 79 degrees already. And the humidity is atrocious! I always loved how Colorado might be hot at day but cools off at night. We're going to triple digits today so thanks for passing the heat on! Hahaha! Gorgeous bucket of 'tunias!

Linda said...

You are even hotter than Texas! Our humidity is lower here than it was when we lived south of here, so I'm grateful for that. What a pretty morning view you have. I like your embroidery; I'd like to make one for us. We have you beat by 7 years!

Barb N said...

That's just too hot for where you live, especially this time of year. Our area is in a severe drought and temps are high, too. Farmers have had their water cut off last week for lack of spring runoff, which is unheard of here. Actually very scary. Glad you had a chance to cool down!

Little Penpen said...

I love Kathy’s designs too. Yours are stitched up so pretty. I agree with you that 103 is too hot to do much more than stitch!

Deb A said...

That is hot! Glad you found a cool place to settle in for a bit. The drastic change from AC to outside does me in during the summer months. Happy stitching - love the birds.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great stitching projects! I have done the bird one, but not the house. John and I were married in 1975. We have been at 106-107 all week, but our expected high is 99 today, and then in the 80s for a couple of days, then back up to the 100s next week. The painter moved some of my plants in pots away from the house where they were in part shade, and I think part of them are dead. I hope I can revive the orchid. Hope you stay cool and have a great week!

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

We have been up over 100 here, too. I am grateful for the AC!
Your embroidery blocks are darling. I like that prim style. Stay cool and enjoy your stitching

Ivani said...

Lovely embroideries, Diann.
Your petunias are wonderful.
For me Winter begins officially tomorow but I am so ready for Summer days.

Jenny said...

There is nothing more pleasant than sitting outside under the shade doing some hand stitching, is there!

CathieJ said...

Love your projects and petunias, but not the heat. I have to put that book on my "to read" list. Stay cool.