Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

I Like Thursday #238

Happy Thursday, friends!  Hope you're having a good week!  Don't forget to check out all the positive posts at Not Afraid of Color.

We went for a hike at the trails at our favorite local natural area on Monday.  There's a native plant garden there and someone has painted rocks that help identify the plants.  I thought this was a creative use of the painted rock trend and they are really helpful!


There is also an osprey nest box that we were watching as we walked.  Two adults took turns being nearby or at the nest.  We couldn't tell if the eggs had hatched yet or not.


We found out on Saturday that my mom's new love seat for her apartment was going to be delivered on Monday.  That was something to like because they had told us it wouldn't come until the end of June or beginning of July.  The delivery window was 2 - 4:30, so I told Mom I'd come over and hang out that afternoon while she waited for them to bring it.  Then my phone rang a little before two and it was my mom.  "My couch just arrived!"  Here's my happy mom with her new couch!


I finished the best book this week!  If you've read my Thursday posts for any length of time, you probably know I love historical fiction, especially if it's set in WWII.  This week I read The Rose Code by Kate Quinn.  This is the fourth book I've read that she's written, and I've enjoyed every one.  She always has very interesting and unique women characters.

This book is about the people who broke the German codes at Bletchley Park near London, specifically the women who worked there.

I love making progress on a project!  In my To-Do Tuesday post, I showed a photo of all the blocks for Follow Your Own Path up on my design wall.  Here's where I am now after only two afternoons of work.

It's always great to see blocks and rows come together!

And finally, do you read the comic strip "Zits?"  It's been one of my favorites for years - probably because we raised two boys.  This week, Jeremy, the perennial teenager, has gotten a summer job at the zoo!


Cute!










13 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I just finished The Rose Code too, and thought it was wonderful. I'll have it on a book review post next week.

Linda said...

Your Mom looks so sweet on her new loveseat! Your ospreys remind me of the birds that somehow built a nest up high on the wall inside our patio. They've made a big mess, but we've enjoyed watching the 3 baby birds inside. Yesterday they graduated to flying!

Libby in TN said...

Your arrows are looking mighty fine. Love the painted rock idea. I always enjoyed Zits as we had two boys, too, but we don't get it in our little community paper. My younger son was Frankenberry at Opryland one summer.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have the Rose Code but haven't read it yet - I have enjoyed all of her books. I like the chair and foot stool we need to get new chairs as we have a couch and love seat but have wanted to get rid of the love seat and replace with chairs instead

Susie H said...

I love the joy on your mother's face over her new love seat. Truly a "LOVE" seat! Great progress on your QAL. I really like your background fabric.

MissPat said...

What a clever use of painted rocks. So nice that your Mom's love seat got an early delivery. Maybe inventory delays are starting to be resolved. I'm going to add Rose Code to my Goodreads list. With this weeks' coming 90 degree days, reading will probably be high on my to-so list.
Pat

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Great idea for the garden...I always forget the names of the flowers...I'll have to try this. Hope your mom enjoys her new couch.
Haven't read your book, but I'll be checking it out. Love Follow Your Own Path piece...very pretty. The comic strip made me chuckle..so cute. Have a great day!

piecefulwendy said...

Osprey are fascinating birds; I hope you get to see the hatch! How great that your mom's loveseat arrived early. It looks like her space is coming together! I'll have to check out that author. Your FYOP blocks are looking great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on the delivery of your Mom's new sofa! You're making good progress on the FYOP quilt. SEW looking forward to seeing it come together (since mine never got off the cutting table!)

grammajudyb said...

I’m always excited to see painted rocks! Ones that are also informative are all the better! Yay, for early furniture delivery! Lately , delivery times are unbelievable!your FYOP is coming along! I like the background! Is it grunge?

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! WOW! That is a great use for the painted rocks. Some people are so darn clever and helpful! Yippee for the new couch delivery. Andrea had ordered one in February and it is going to finally be delivered tomorrow. Originally, they told her August so early-June is fabulous!! I've got The Rose Code on hold at the library - I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the comic strip giggle! ~smile~ Roseanne

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love the fact that someone would take the time to paint the rocks to identify the plants it is awesome. I will have to look for that book. How great that the couch arrived early!

PaintedThread said...

I really like that identification rock. Yay for a loveseat delivered ahead of schedule. Your arrow quilt is looking really cool put together.