Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

I Like Thursday #239

I like summer!  No matter what the calendar says, summer has arrived in Colorado, and it appears we're not looking back!

I like cool mornings on our shady back porch with a good book and an iced latte.


I really liked this book ⬆️ The Identicals, by Elin Hilderbrand.  I think it was on a list I saw of the "best beach reads" or something, and even though I'm not anywhere near a beach, I raced right through it!  It takes place on both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, and has all kinds of good storylines - twin sisters who make all the wrong choices, a troubled teenager, romance and family drama, and beaches, too. 

These snapdragons are so pretty in my flower garden!  I've planted snapdragons multiple times over the years and it's always a pleasant surprise to see them come back!

Would you say their color is magenta?


I found this graphic the other say because I was looking for
 different shades of purple and what you might call them.
In my sewing this week, I've been working with some fabric 
that I might call "jam" according to the chart!
Definitely a red purple shade.


We had the opportunity to meet up with one of our sons on Sunday for a lunchtime visit.  It was so great - we talk to him often but hadn't seen him in person for quite a long time.  We meet in between where we all live at a park and bring a picnic lunch.  I had shown him a picture of something I saw on Frederique's blog, Quilting, Patchwork, and Applique.  She told me it was made with a 3-D printer and sent me a link to the site where you can get the file to make it.   Kevin, my son, has a 3-D printer so he made me one of these!

It's the little orange thing that is holding the bobbin and
spool of thread together.  Very handy!

Hope you're enjoying summer where you live!  I'm joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.  Check out all the links there for lots of positive posts!













13 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Two weeks ago I had to turn the heat back on. This week it is in the high 80's and humid, and doesn't cool down much past 75. URGH! I love snapdragons, and am too pleased when they come back. Mine didn't this last couple of years. How fun to be able to see your son. Great likes, and enjoy the week.

Linda said...

Love those snapdragons! How great that your son has a 3-D printer. That's a neat gadget. That's a beautiful piece of "jam" you have there!

grammajudyb said...

Great jam fabric! That’s a fun graphic! I like color names! Would you say your snapdragons are magenta? I’m sure it was fun to see your son! I know I’m missing daughter and family! Son too, of course! I like those little bobbin thingys! I always wonder if my bobbin thread is the same as my top thread.

Libby in TN said...

I haven't seen snapdragons in years. I always like to make them "snap." It's beyond my comprehension how a 3-D printer works ...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had been hearing more and more of 3Dprinters and have thought it might be a good surprise gift for hubby.
the book sounds good I have read some of hers. one of my nephews is on the island this summer working - he is in the stage of his life right now of trying to figure out what to do so he is a traveling working now going from ski resorts to golf courses etc for awhile until he can figure out what to do with his life

Susie H said...

I love those handy bobbin & thread holders. At one of my guild's yard sales, I bought a whole mess of them for $1. Very convenient. Lovely snapdragons. So nice when the plants either return or reseed. Whichever -- "free" plants later are always welcomed!

LA Paylor said...

well it pays to have a techie son doesn't it? lol
magenta... I LOVE magenta. Snapdragons come back here? cool... commit that to memory. Elin's book... now I have to go looking for it

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

It seems like magic to me the way 3d printers work. How cool is that! Meanwhile I love that chart; who knew there were so many shades of purple and that fabric is pretty. As are the snapdragons and relaxing in the shade with a book and a cool drink!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Your snapdragons are gorgeous. Are they annuals? I just adore that color - what a nice pop of friendliness right there. They do look magenta to me! Well, isn't that clever - both that your son could make the bobbin/thread holder and that someone came up with the idea and shared it! ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

Magenta is a favorite color of mine! 3D printers are cool! Those bobbin holders are pretty neat, too!

piecefulwendy said...

I need to check out that book. I'm in the mood for some easy, fun reads lately. Iced latte - yum! I haven't had one in ages. Do you make your own? How cool that your son could make you one of those bobbin holders! Glad you were able to spend time with him, too. It's so good to be able to be with family and friends again!

Barb N said...

I like summer, too!!! It's so darn short, though. You have to cram all the warm summer loving things into just three months. Sometimes with a reprive in September. Relishing the days ahead!
Oh, I like your bobbin holder. You should get him to make a cajillion for you!

Bonnie said...

I found the purple names interesting... it seemed more of these colors leaned toward the red rather than blue side of purple. Many of the color differences are very subtle. Fun to look at. Hum, fun to get a 3d printed article to hold your bobbin with the spool.