Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Temecula Mini Blocks WiP

This week's Temecula Marvelous Monday Mini blocks are meant to be 36 patch blocks made from 1-1/8" squares (180 of them to make 5 blocks!).  I knew I would not want to cut that many teeny tiny squares, so I decided to make them using the Scrappy Trips block method from Bonnie Hunter.


I cut six strips of the different colors that were 7" x 1-1/8."  Sewing them together, making a tube of the strips by sewing them right sides together, and then cutting apart in the opposite direction and re-sewing made an easy 36 patch block.  Check out this tutorial if you want to see it written out in more detail!

So far, I've made two of these - this week's plan calls for 5 total.  We'll see if I get around to that!


I am enjoying seeing these blocks all together!  Here are the 12 I had before I made the second 36 patch block.  


I'm really getting curious to find out what will be happening with these blocks once all of them are completed!

Linking up with Let's Be Social at Sew Fresh Quilts and Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation.

10 comments:

margaret said...

they are really tiny squares look so good

Libby in TN said...

Smart move, Jayne! That's going to be a fun quilt.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That tube method is so much easier than dealing with a bunch of squares.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

like your color combinations.

Alison V. said...

These are so cute! I would have done what you did and strip pieced them too! :)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I like your color choices for this quilt. Thx for the Bonnie Hunter instructions. I wondered how that worked. mary

time4stitchn said...

Totally love your fabric combinations for this. Congrats on keeping up with the weekly blocks.

Rachel said...

Very pretty! Love your colors, especially that fun plus fabric!

Linda said...

I love those colors together! I think the scrappy block may be my favorite, but I love them all. :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great idea Diann. Sewing a bunch of small squares can be challenging. This was brilliant!