Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Inspiration

This week I've been thinking about where my inspiration comes from in the quilting work I do.  It's been kind of fun to keep track of how a particular little scrap project evolved.

A couple weeks ago I first showed this low volume piece I made, with the intention that it would become the background for something else.  At that time, I wasn't sure what I would be doing with it, but I was inspired by a lovely mini quilt made by Teje at Neros Post.


Meanwhile, I was doing my usual watering and plant maintenance one day, and I cut some petunias to put into a mason jar.


Looking at those pretty purple petunias gave me an idea, so I got out my graph paper sketchbook, and drew this - 


The question was, could I make this out of fabric?

Sure I could!


I used some Steam a Seam to fuse the pieces onto the background, and added a little bit of primitive machine stitching to keep them in place. 


Some little buttons were fun for the flower centers.


Inspiration!


Coming from many places.

Thanks to my many scrappy quilter friends for all the inspiration I find in you everyday!
Sharing at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.











13 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh this is lovely and I enjoyed your process! Bravo!!!

Jayne said...

Aren't you smart and clever! This is super cute and love the picture of the quilt next to one of your inspirations!

Cathy said...

Oh how cute! Aren't you just the best artist too. I see inspiration in my flower and veggie garden and orchard but can't even draw a limb or piece of grass.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This is so stinkin' cute! I love the primitive feel to it. And of course purple is my favorite color. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

Awww... So sweet!
Good for you for branching out in a new direction!

Alison V. said...

This is so cute! I love how the flowers pop against the low volume background.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I love your ideas of just adding the petunias to an already sweet mini quilt. Just lovely. mary

deb said...

So cute!

Linda said...

Oh my gosh that's incredible!! It's beautiful. True joy. :)

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Diann! You made so beautiful quilt! I hope you had as fun as me making the lovely flowers! Thank you for linking! x Teje

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely finish!

ES said...

Cute quilt! Thanks for sharing x

Vicki in MN said...

Yep, I love it, very creative you. That low volume background just screamed applique!