Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Apparently I wasn't finished...

With blue!

A couple days ago, I found this pattern for some coffee cup blocks.  It's from allpeoplequilt.com, the website for American Patchwork and Quilting magazine.  The block is called Coffee Time.  I had been looking for a pattern like this ever since I saw Kate's coffee cup quilt, and wanted to try making a similar block.

Well, the blue scrap bin was out, so, just for fun, here's what I made - a light blue coffee cup and a dark blue one.


I always enjoy trying a new block, and these came together very easily!  I did add a 1.5" strip on the right side of both blocks where the handles of the cups are.

Wouldn't these make a fun quilt in all different colors?  I might put them on my list for next year's RSC, but meanwhile, I decided to make these into a couple mug minis for our morning coffee spot.  I like to change those out fairly regularly and it gives me an excuse to make something small!  :)


I quilted them in a diagonal cross-hatch, and because they are rectangular (6.5 x 7.5), the cross-hatching has a diamond shape.  I bound the dark cup in the light blue and the light cup in a dark blue.

I had the perfect backing fabric in my stash!


And here's why blue is perfect for the end of July - Bronco training camp has started.  Time to get out the Bronco mug!

Go Broncos!

Sharing Sunday at Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework!

Also sharing at 



14 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Nice Titan two-tone blues!

Kate said...

Those are fun cups. Perfect mug rugs. I'm looking forward to seeing if these make the cut for your 2018 RSC project.

Linda said...

You can never have too much blue stuff. ;) Very cute.
I'm ready for fall and football!

margaret said...

works so well as a mug rug, off to see if I can make some now once I find the link. They will make quickly for the charity stall I am trying to fill

make.share.give said...

Your morning coffee just got even cuter!

make.share.give said...

Your morning coffee just got even cuter!

Vicki in MN said...

They are the perfect ending blue project for the month!

gayle said...

Those are adorable, and that really is the perfect backing fabric! I agree that it does look like a good pattern for RSC - you could have a lot of fun fussy cutting, too!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Cute! I think those cups would be a fun block for next year. They would make a great border treatment on a quilt too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

time4stitchn said...

Love the cute mug rugs. And such a great backing fabric! Green Bay training camp started this week; I would bet that so did the Broncos.

Edith said...

Everything about these little quilts is just perfect ... and yes a great project for a future RSC.

claudia said...

Cute mug rugs! I like them in the blues!

Preeti said...

I knew that yawning was infectious. Now I am sure that the need to make coffee-mugs/teacups block is contagious :-) They are cute and just perfect. Finding that cute backing is like a swirl of smiley in your cuppa :-)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I'm with the other Linda - you can never have too much blue!
Cute coffee mug rugs! Thanks for sharing with 'sew stitch snap SHARE'