Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

I Like Thursday #40 - Yummy, Pretty, and Helpful!

It is just about Thursday again, and time to share what I've been liking this week!  I'm joining in as always with LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color to share the positive things we've experienced over the past week.

It's time for Colorado peaches, and I really like Colorado peaches!  They're grown on the Western Slope in an area around the town of Palisade (also a place to find good wines!) and they always come into season about mid-July.  We buy them from this roadside stand near our house.


These peaches are so delicious, and I slice one up to put on my cereal every morning.  They make my whole wheat cereal taste like dessert!  In August, when my mom comes to visit, she will have to make me a peach pie - yum!


I liked picking a carrot out of my garden this week - notice I said "a" carrot!  This seems to be the only one, and it was a volunteer from last year's carrot seeds.  It's so fascinating to me that the tiny carrot seed could live all through the winter and then start growing a year after it was originally planted!

It was tasty! :)

Here is a photo of my little flower garden - I like its pretty colors right now.  Larkspur, marigolds, alyssum, and snapdragons seem to be happy in that garden right now.


I found a new recipe to try with zucchini noodles this week.  Here's a link to the recipe, if you want to try it! Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls


The Bruschetta made with fresh tomatoes and balsamic vinegar gave the dish a yummy fresh taste, and we really liked it!

I liked helping out a friend with her first t-shirt quilt.  She did all the designing and sewing, but we talked over different techniques that would make everything easier.  I dug out this book that I bought a very long time ago so that she could read about how to sew on the binding.  I hadn't looked at the book in awhile, and it was fun to look back through it and see my notes from projects I had made out of it.  


I read Bonnie Hunter's blog and follow her on Facebook, and I like how she ends her daily posts with uplifting quotes that make me think paired with a picture of a quilt.  Here's one from earlier this week:


I often think that by my age (60ish :), I should have it all figured out.  I'm so glad to know that others don't either!  Life definitely keeps me on my toes!

Happy Thursday!  Hope life has been good to you this week!






13 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

One lone little carrot, savor that flavor! We have some of those peaches on order. Some youth group brings in a truck load every year, we usually miss it. However a guy DH works with brought in a box of them to share last year and so yummy! I told DH he needed to order some for this year.

LA Paylor said...

thank goodness I'm not supposed to have it all figured out! Because I don't. I like the tern zoodle.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

First of all, thanks for the hook up with a great cooking site. I cannot wait to try that recipe as well as making the Thai Peanut sauce.I cannot say if I have ever had a Colorado peach. I'm going to see if there are any here. I too follow Bonnie and love her quilts and her constant on the road adventures. mary in Az

Shannon said...

Love your lone carrot! In my mom's garden its one of the few veggies that lasts well into the cold winter (until the ground really freezes). I remember being sent outside on chilly Thanksgiving morning to dig some carrots out for the dinner!

PaintedThread said...

Peaches! This is my favorite time of year because of them. Can't get enough.

There are days I would appreciate a little more boring life. ;-)

MissPat said...

I think homegrown (i.e.locally grown) peaches are the best fruit there is. With tons of rain and little heat this summer, I'm not sure how good the crop will be. It's a little early yet, but should be soon.
I like Bonnie's quotes on quilts, too. So many good ones.
Pat

Mary in Boulder said...

I think I drove by your peach stand today when I was coming back to Boulder on 287 after seeing the New Legacies art quilt show at the Lincoln Museum in Ft. Collins. Lucky you to have a stand right near your house with easy parking! The first year we lived here, 3 years ago, I went to the Lafayette Peach Festival to buy a box and what a mistake that was. Could have been fun if I'd been in the mood for a busy street festival but I was on a mission to get a box of peaches and it wasn't fun dealing with the car and carrying a heavy box of fruit through the busy streets. And dealing with the Farmer's Market isn't much better. I'd love to have stand right down the street!

claudia said...

Oh no! At the age of 60-ish we have begun to figure out that we haven't gotten it all figured out. And oh well! What a fun adventure that is to do!
The Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowl looks delicious! I'm going to have to try it.
We unfortunately don't have as fresh of peaches as you do. I love a good peach, I think they taste best when the juice is running down your hand to your elbow when you take a bite!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is such a great post, Diann. I am drooling over those fresh peaches; our Ontario peaches are going to be later this year and the corn too. Pretty garden and your marigolds are so tall. We love all kinds of noodle bowls and I have book marked your recipe. Thanks for the link.
Great (and true) quote!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Great idea of the bruchetta addition! I am definately making that soon! I love your flower garden, your combination of colors is quite appealing. It's funny, i normally don't like orange but combine orange flowers with purple/blue ones and I swoon. The peaches look delish! Have a great day!

Linda said...

I love your posts!! If I lived near you I'd make you a peach pie, but I know that "Mom's" pies are always the best. :)
Love the blues in your garden. Are those the larkspurs? Congrats on the carrot - lol!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Thanks, Michelle! I had never made or even eaten bruschetta before, so it was nice to have a different flavor to go along with our typical grilled chicken and veggies meal! I love the purple/blue and orange combo, too. Lucky for me they are blooming at the same time!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Colorado peaches are so juicy - you would definitely have juice running down your arm! Thanks for visiting!