Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 14, 2017

Cool Blues

I've been enjoying playing with my blue scraps this week, continuing the July color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

First up, this week's Marvelous Monday Mini block, from Temecula Quilt Company.  I've made 10 of these little blocks so far - I'm getting really curious to see what we will end up doing with these!


I also played with my blue string scraps to make this month's blocks for my String Star quilt.


String blocks are so much fun to play with!


And in the category of  "Just because I had to," I made a couple of orange blocks to add into the mix, and see what will be happening when I have all the blocks made for the star.  You might notice that I fudged a couple of orqange blocks just to see what they will look like there by the red center square!


All I have left to complete my design plan are 6 orange blocks and 12 more of the neutral/low volume background blocks!  I'm excited about this one!

And, finally, I made some blue bow ties.


The bow tie blocks started as an "I want to make a few of these just for fun," block earlier this year, and since they measure 6.5 inches, I know I will need a bunch more to make even a lap sized quilt.  So far I've made just 20 bow ties, and probably need at least 80 to get a 4 x 5 block layout, if I sew them into 12.5 inch squares of four bow ties each.


Lots more blocks needed, but on the way to being a fun and scrappy quilt!  My low volume mini, which I have plans to add some applique to, is still in the same state it was last week, as I continue to mull over what I want to add to it!  

I'll be sharing my scrappy blues over at SoScrappy and Quilting is More Fun than Housework for their weekend link-ups!





21 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love all of your scrap pieces

Alison V. said...

I love those bowtie blocks, they are so cute!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love string blocks and yours have turned out great!

maggie fellow said...

I am watching the string blocks and can't wait to see the finish

Katie Z. said...

I love your strings!

Mari said...

Love the string blocks. Orange does add a nice zing, doesn't it?

Vicki in MN said...

All of your blocks are looking great. At least you know you have projects you can always pull out when you have a few spare moments:)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Strings, Bow Ties, and your other little block in BLUE... All are looking good!!

Cathy said...

Oh, you're killing me with those gorgeous string blocks! I hope you bring them to the cabin in September so I can see them!

gayle said...

Aren't those little Monday minis fun?
And I'm absolutely in love with your string star! I'm so looking forward to seeing it all together!

Chantal said...

That string quilt will be awesome. Very good progress on it. Hope you find an inspiration for the applique on the mini neutral quilt soon. Enjoy! ;^)

Quiltdivajulie said...

My goodness you have been busy! Perhaps the low volume mini only needs the addition of some wonderful old quiet buttons?

Jayne said...

I'm so glad you showed us other layouts of those blocks! I find it hard to pick a favorite! I'm getting that 'itch' to make some now!!

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm loving your fabric choices for the Temecula mini and can't wait to see how your quilt turns out!

Turid said...

String blocks are so fun. I love yours in blues.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Awesome blocks. I have been thinking about adding bow tie blocks to my rotation. Yours are so inspiring. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Kate said...

Lots of fun blocks! I really like those string blocks. Happy stitching this week.

Miaismine said...

I like your idea of using blues on 1/2 of your square and low volume fabrics on the other half. It adds a whole new realm to play with! Thank you so much for sharing! Pinning this idea to my String Quilts board!

Linda said...

Pretty blocks! I love playing with blues. :)

Deb A said...

Those string stars are beautiful. Such tiny blocks from the Monday sew along- it will be fun to see them all come together.

PaintedThread said...

I LOVE string blocks. Yours look great.