Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

I Like Thursday #39 - a New Hike

It's always fun to find a new spot to go hiking where you've never been before, so when a friend recommended Hollowell Park in Rocky Mountain National Park, Mike and I decided we needed to check it out!  It turned out to be a lovely place to explore and we really enjoyed ourselves.

I liked this wide open view that we started with - that's Long's Peak there in the background.  It is one of Colorado's 14,000 foot peaks.


There were tons of wildflowers along the way.  I really liked these pretty purple ones!  I do wish I knew their official name.  I can identify lots of birds, but don't have the same knowledge of wildflowers!


The wide open spaces soon turned into this - a beautiful grove of aspen trees.


And water - 


I like my new sun hat and my trekking poles!  I also like stopping to rest now and then, lol!


I like this view from Sprague Lake, another place to visit close by where we hiked.


We often stop by the Snowy Peaks Winery, in Estes Park, after hiking, for a picnic and a glass of wine.  This time, it was late afternoon, and some live bluegrass music was playing, which we really enjoyed. (along with that glass of wine!)


Happy Thursday!  I hope you're having a wonderful week!  I'm looking forward to the I Like Thursday posts over at Not Afraid of Color - join us!







11 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy Thursday! I love your new hat! It is AWESOME! Hiking through that grove of aspen trees looks delightful! Glad you had a great day!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

if you stop at a book store in Estes Park or in the National Park gift shop itself you will find small thin booklets that are lamented and folded nice and flat - some on identifying the flowers & plants, another on animals, some on paw prints - really nice booklets to tuck in the knapsacks while hiking - I think I have them all - we try to go out to those areas every couple years or so and really enjoy them

LA Paylor said...

beautiful pictures. You told a story of a day in the life... I felt I was there with you!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Thank you for taking us along on your hike. I love me some Aspens. The view at that lake is priceless. mary in Az

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your sweet wildflower looks like a kind of aster to me. They bloom here later in the summer and into the fall. I learn the names one summer and forget them and have to relearn each year! It seems you two are living a great life...love the hiking in such gorgeous terrain. How do you find the walking poles? I've thought about getting them; I couldn't go out without a hat these days. Hope the mosquitoes are not as bad where you are...worst year yet for them here.

Shannon said...

So glad you had such a beautiful hike! I've always wanted to go to RMNP (my sister and parents have been several times), but haven't made it yet!

MissPat said...

Lovely views. We have mountains in New York, but nothing quite like that. We went to Denver 3 summers ago and I was very impressed with the mountains.
Pat

Linda said...

Gorgeous scenery! Looks like a perfect place to hike. I like your sun hat too! I would definitely want poles to hike - a great idea.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Gorgeous, I love hiking and we haven't been able to go much this spring due to DH's work schedule. Now it is too hot for anything except the high elevations, and it is just too crowded up there on the Blue Ridge Parkway with all the tourists in the area for summer vacations.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Thanks, Michele! We plan to go back to hike this trail in the fall, because then the aspen will be really beautiful!

Kate said...

Looks like a gorgeous place to hike. Looks like you hit the perfect combo.