Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, February 4, 2022

Moving on to aqua...

This week I've been working on blocks for three different Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.  I finally found a background fabric I liked so that I could get started on the Masala Box blocks.  This is a pattern by Preeti of Sew Preeti quilts, and I think it will be really fun as a scrappy rainbow quilt!

Here's what I decided to use - it's a cream with flecks of other colors in it (and hard to photograph!), which I think will go well with all the colors of the rainbow.


I needed to get caught up with the red blocks first, but got one aqua block pieced as well.
 

I'm planning to make two blocks each month, but may make more in certain months depending on what kind of scraps I have in a particular color.  The throw size quilt in this pattern needs 25 blocks.

During my evening slow stitching time, I hand-pieced three plus blocks in aqua, so here's how this collection is looking with two colors.


And three Bloom blocks with aqua baskets are waiting by the sewing machine ready to stitch together!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 












26 comments:

Cathy said...

Aren’t those Masala Boxes fun? That’ll be an awesome quilt in rainbow colors!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Red and aqua is an interesting color combination. Looks nice with your bubbly background.

Libby in TN said...

Great background for your boxes! Are you using 2-1/2" squares? I did 2 boxes for 10 months and it's a nice throw size.

Maggie said...

Perfect background fabrics for the rainbow blocks, it goes with everything. A lovely selection of blocks that you are working on.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like the Positivity quilt and those baskets!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

You're making great progress on your aqua blocks and it's ONLY February 5th! Inspiring!

Kathy S. said...

LOVE your background fabric that you chose. Multi-colored dots are always a favorite of mine for RSC projects (as are the black/white text fabrics in your Positivity quilt!).

Your basket blocks will go fast now that they are cut and ready to sew. The colors you picked for them are perfect. Nicely done. Have a great weekend.

scraphappy said...

That is a nice background fabric for you masala blocks. Great progress already this month!

Linda said...

You've got a great start on aqua! Don't you love red and aqua together. That's a pretty start to the Preeti pattern.

grammajudyb said...

You really did find the perfect background for your Marsala Boxes! That’s my mission next! And the happy blocks, and HST and, and, and! :)

Rebecca said...

LOVE that background fabric.... Sometimes finding the right background is the hardest part of all on these "color challenges"

Ivani said...

Looks like you had fun playing/sewing the Masala Box blocks. They are looking good so far.
Love the plus blocks.

Deb A said...

Love the masala blocks...I forgot I wanted to try those as well. Love your background fabric for it.

Linda said...

Love your Plus blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! Impressive AQUA progress for the first week of the month, Diann!

The Cozy Quilter said...

The Masala boxes are so pretty! Perfect background fabric! Aqua is such a cheerful colour and it looks great with red.

Mary said...

Your RSC masala boxes are wonderful, and I absolutely love your hand-pieced plus blocks.

chrisknits said...

You always have such colorful projects, they are just delightful! I have the same view out my window as yours, but too much of it seems to come in on the dogs paws, so not loving that part of it. LOL!

The Joyful Quilter said...

With each new photo you shared, I wanted more and more to race to the studio and start sewing. LOVE the Color of the Month, along with your block choices for RSC22!!

Sandy Panagos said...

That is a great background for the RSC blocks.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lots of progress on your rainbow blocks! I love the Masala Boxes, Preeti is a genius. And the bloom blocks are so colorful. Have a great week!

Susie H said...

Your RSC blocks are really coming along and look beautiful. Love the Masala blocks!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your RSC blocks are beautiful. Those Masala Boxes look extra fun!

Jeanna said...

I love aqua and red together! The aqua basket is lovely.

Preeti said...

The plus blocks and the Masala Box blocks look fabulous. The aqua fabric with cats is just too cute. Thank you so much for including the Masala Box link in your post. Big Squishy Hugs to you :-)

Kate said...

That is a great background fabric for your Masala Box Blocks. Those turned out beautifully. So did your cross blocks.