Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I Like Thursday #274 and SAHRR update...

Happy Thursday and thanks for visiting!  After a gorgeous beginning of the week, it turned cold and snowy here again, so this week I've liked getting lots of sewing time in!  I finished up this week's prompt for the Stay at Home Round Robin pretty quickly.  See more about it at Quilting Gail.  I didn't want this to get too big, so have turned mine into a "Row" Robin, by combining the last three weeks of prompts into top and bottom borders instead of sewing them all the way around.  I'm liking how this is going!

The first three borders do go all the way around - first a curved border, then straight borders with diamond cornerstones, and then a narrow neutral round.
The last top and bottom borders include Friendship Stars, signature blocks, and most recently, the appliqued hearts.  I'm hoping it will work for the final border prompt (coming up Monday) to finish off the sides.  At this point, it measures 19.5 x 25.5.  

Here's a close-up of one heart applique.  I used Pellon Lite Easy Steam to fuse the hearts to the blue squares, and then did some raw edge applique to finish them off.


Speaking of hearts, I baked some heart sugar cookies for Valentine's Day to serve my book club friends who were coming over for our February discussion.

They were pretty tasty, plus make a pretty picture!

I liked our choice for this month's get together which was this quirky little book, An Uncommon Reader.  It was available through our local library's book bag program for book clubs.  I've shared these before - they're so handy and always have plenty of books for our group.

It's a fictional story about the Queen of England becoming a reader late in her life and how that changes her life in many interesting ways!

Hope you're having a great week - I'm heading back to my sewing room!  Be sure to check out the other I Like Thursday posts linked up at Not Afraid of Color.
















21 comments:

grammajudyb said...

Your SAHRR is looking so pretty! It’s almost done! Did that go as fast for you participating quilters as it did for us onlookers? It sure has been fun to watch.

Your Valentine cookies look yummy! I never did get the hang of making sugar cookies. Mine were always dry and tasteless! Have a great week!

Cathy said...

Diann, your SAHRR is looking great! You’re clever to combine elements of multiple rounds in a single border to keep the size in check for a wall hanging. Beautiful progress!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your SAHRR is looking great - I think it must be hard to come up with ideas for a small piece like that. Your cookies wonderful!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love how your SAHRR is looking! Great work!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Delicious iced cookies got my attention!
I read that book a long time ago, it seems. I was intrigued as Her Majesty's library is kept up to date with all the latest books and down through the years, however, I've read that none of the royals are readers so the books remain untouched. Have no idea if that is true. But I would sure love to get a look at that library.
Meanwhile, your hanging is really shaping up with your clever handling of those blocks Diann. Have a great weekend!

LA Paylor said...

ooo the quilt and cookies look so good

piecefulwendy said...

Row Robin! I love that! It's looking great. Those heart cookies look delicious! Thanks for the tip on the book, too.

Kat Scribner said...

How cute that is ! I need to get back to some hand stitchin but there is one dog who insists on my lap every night when i get to the easy chair. I cant say now.

MissPat said...

It's been interesting to see how the SAHRR participants have adapted the prompts to keep their projects smaller. I love sugar cookies, but don't have much luck making them. The bakery ones are too dense and sweet for me.
Pat

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love your SAHRR project it is turning out so cute. Your cookies look yummy, and what a great idea for your library for book club.

PaintedThread said...

Mmmm... those cookies look good!

Mary said...

I really like how you’ve modified your Stay at Home Row Robin, lol! It’s fun to have the freedom to interpret and then re-interpret the prompts as we wish.

Kate said...

It's been such fun to see how everyone interprets the SAHRR prompt. Your version is looking good, such pretty fabrics and a great center.

Susie H said...

Your SAHRR is so pretty. I take it you were married in 1976? Wish I was there for book club ... those cookies look delicious!

Deb A said...

SAHRR is looking great. Love your take on the clues. Those cookies look yummy.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your creative variation on the SAHRR!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I totally agree with you about your "row" round robin. I was going to limit my project size this year, until it got adjusted for me by a request! It's fine that interpret each of the prompts any way you want . . . and your result is turning out so nicely!! Your heart cookies look yummy. What a nice treat for your book club friends. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Michele McLaughlin said...

I think you are stopping the RR exactly at the right time! The quilt looks awesome~ I liked how you used your curved border! Gave a great weekend~

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sweet added hearts, Diann. How did you like that Pellon fusible? I've never tried that one and always like to hear a product review.

Quilting Gail said...

Love your appliqued hearts! They are perfect in your combined row!
Thanks for linking up to the linky party!