Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

I Like Thursday #275

 My Wednesday morning view out the front window.  Minus 4 degrees - brrr!



I think Frosty likes it, though.  In fact, he may be demonstrating for more snow!


It's been good reading weather this week.  I've finished two books and am in the middle of a third.

Top to bottom:

The links will take you to the Goodreads blurb about each book.  The Jodi Picoult book, Wish You Were Here, is about Covid in March of 2020 when it hit New York City so hard.  Knowing this might put you off reading it, but I highly recommend this book!  Jodi Piccoult always does extensive research for her books (even though they are fiction), and has an interesting perspective on the topic.

Wintry weather always gives us a chance to get back into our genealogy research, and we've been doing that this week.  Over the last year, I've been able to trace my ancestry back to John and Priscilla Alden who came to America on the Mayflower.   (Evidently this isn't unusual - Mike read that they have the second most documented descendants of any of the Mayflower passengers!)  But it is really cool to actually see the names and follow it in your family tree!

It turns out you can visit the Alden House Historic Site, and I hope to do that someday.  It is in Duxbury, Massachusetts.


Hope you're having a great week, and staying warm and dry!
I'm joining in with I Like Thursday at Not Afraid of Color.












16 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I just finished Wish You Were Here and will have a review on my blog soon. Highly recommend it!!

Cheryl said...

The snow looks so very peaceful. Of course, it's also not mine to shovel, which helps. And Frosty is loving it!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Brrr I agree this week was a good week for reading. I have read several books lately that the main character has talked about COVID, being quarantined, etc. Frosty is cute. How cool to trace your ancestry to the Mayflower.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

"Wish you were here" is next on my list and I have it on the kindle. I think just about now we are all tired of winter!! we expect more freezing rain to start by 10 I just want it gone!

piecefulwendy said...

I've never read any Jodi Piccoult, but I probably should. I think it would be interesting to trace my family tree - maybe someday!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Frosty must be in his glory with those frigid temperatures, Diann! Those titles sound intriguing. Enjoy your book!

PaintedThread said...

That's chilly! How cool to trace your ancestry that far back!

Mari said...

The snow is so pretty, but I know it's really cold. Sometimes I miss it. Great embroidery, though! :)

grammajudyb said...

Your Frosty stitcheries are so cut. It warmed up here to day to a “balmy” 16 degrees! But it was sunny, so it wasn’t too bad! I like Jodi Picoult books! I haven’t read that one! On my list for sure!

Libby in TN said...

Weird weather all around! It's pouring and 37 right now as I write this; dropping to 29 overnight. Hope I can make it home! My dad supposedly descended from Mayflower passenger William Peregrine White.

LA Paylor said...

girl! you could be in the DAR! That's just a pie in the sky dream for those like me who were adopted with little to no info. Books look really good. I am such a slow reader but a faster listener thank goodness.

Linda said...

So cold at your house. It was 19 here this morning but the sun is out and we are supposed to be back into the low 70s by next week! Frosty is so cute with his little sign. Where do you do your genealogy research? I had subscriptions a time or two to Ancestry.com, but I let them lapse and am reluctant to spend the money now. I did find that I spent a LOT of time researching. It is fascinating.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Minus 4 degrees?!! Brrrrrrr. Frosty - well, who can be upset with Frosty?! Not me, but I do kind of hope he doesn't get his wish for more snow. At least not here. HAHA! Interesting books, Diann. I have to put them on my wish list at the library. I have a good one to share next week - I can't put it down. {{Hugs}} a bunch for you. ~smile~ Roseanne

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Before I forget, Love your design wall...aqua brightens everything up and I like that Grandmother's Choice block too. That would make a great scrappy quilt I'm thinking. I like Jodi's books too. Yes that is cold! I'm sure it didn't last long. We are in the middle of a small snow storm, a few more cm of snow. But it's February still so what can we expect really. Happy Stitching!

Bernie Kringel said...

Dianne, that Jodi Piccoult book sounds good. I am a fan of her books and had not heard of that one. Will put it on my list. I am reading/listening to Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. It is excellent. Also just listened to Where the Crawdads Sing which was really, really good!
I have been using audio books and listening while I pack the house. Getting close though!!

Sandy Panagos said...

I loved "The Reading List"! You are always reading such interesting books. What lovely Thursdays you have.