Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, February 18, 2022

Baskets and Boxes

 I've had lots of sewing time this week, so I've been able to make sure all of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks in aqua/turquoise/teal are finished for the month.  First up are the Bloom baskets.  These have the color of the month in the basket and various scraps in the flower section.


I love these set on point!  In the Bloom pattern module (find it here), there are lots of different layout options.  It's going to be fun to play with these as I accumulate more blocks!


The Masala Box blocks are caught up, too - two in red and two in aqua.  These blocks go together so nicely, and I'm really happy with that background fabric!


Six hand-pieced plus blocks in aqua and teal joined the collection as well.

The two lightest blocks have a white background with a very light aqua print.

Here are all the plus blocks together:


Feeling all caught up gave me the opportunity to begin prepping a UFO for quilting!   This is an older quilt top made from the Northern Lights pattern in the book Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth.  It's not a rainbow quilt, but it's definitely a scrappy quilt, and it has one of my all-time favorite scraps turquoise/teal.  This week I pieced the backing for it.

I'm hoping to get the quilt layers spray basted today or tomorrow
 so I can start the quilting.

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 






















25 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Holy smokes you are on a roll! So many things done, I love it! I really love your baskets--great idea! Have a fun weekend!

Libby in TN said...

Gotta love weeks like that! Can't wait to see what becomes of your blooms.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your bloom blocks are quit colorful - but then I like all the blocks you show today - very colorful and pretty.

Maggie said...

Love all the beautiful projects you are working on, especially the Masala blocks.

Sara said...

Love your blocks this week! And can't wait to see the quilt you are quilting - looks very pretty in the little glimpse we got.

grammajudyb said...

All your blocks are coming along. I did order the Marsala Box pattern from Preeti’s shop! I haven’t found a background fabric yet! But I could piece some of the colored parts. I’ll look at the pattern today! I’m also thinking about layering a small quilt for H2H.

Mari said...

These are all sweet projects, Diann. I love the baskets on point as well, and I really admire the hand piecing. Have fun quilting up that UFO!

Ivani said...

Great projects Diann! The plus blocks have a great color contrast against the neutral words fabric background. So pretty!!

Deb said...

Wow , you are on a roll! I still have all my OMG to work on !
Love the Masala boxes!

Vicki in MN said...

You did good to get caught up on your RSC for the month. I thought for sure you were going to say you had a squirrel visit you! But getting a top ready to quilt is just as good:)

Quilter Kathy said...

These are all marvellous projects, but I really love the plus signs with the B & W backgrounds!

Kathy S. said...

I adore your baskets. I still want to make a basket quilt with 3.5" basket blocks but haven't gone there yet. You have so many lovely projects. Love the aqua blocks next to the red blocks. That would make a great quilt by itself. Happy sewing!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

love your red and aqua blocks!

Jenny said...

I always enjoy seeing your creative ideas. Love the plus blocks, especially with the extra strip to make them offset. I've been looking at plus designs, and this one is nice and simple. Which sums me up, I guess!

maggie fellow said...

great looking projects - good luck with quilting

Deb A said...

So many fun teal projects in the works. I LOVE your baskets and the masala blocks are looking great. That reminds me I need to make a few in teal this month.... I'm going for a 'blues' quilt with that pattern and will add light and medium dark blues in their month I think. Your cross blocks are looking great - so glad you are sticking with the hand piecing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those projects are SEW awesome, Diann!!

Katie Z. said...

Wow! Everything looks so beautiful.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Pretty blocks! All caught up? Maybe you need another project? Good luck with the quilting!

scraphappy said...

Great block additions this week. I keep seeing those Masala blocks and am tempted every time. So many beautiful projects. So few days in each month!

Sandy Panagos said...

It is SO much fun seeing all the different RSC blocks people are working on!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow Diann - You had a very productive week! Of course, I love the baskets and look forward to seeing how you decide to lay them out. Thanks for sharing all your lovely blocks with Oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Wow! What a dynamic set of teal and aqua blocks! I thought I could pick a favorite. . .I can not! Such a productive week you had!

Nann said...

Scrappy goodness abounds! The staggered plus signs are a great idea, and you know that I love the baskets.

Mary said...

Such colorful baskets, boxes, and pluses. They just make me happy looking at them!