Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

I Like Thursday #228

 I have a quick Thursday post today to share something kind of neat in the downtown of my city that Mike and I went and took a look at yesterday.   Since we are all creative people, I thought you'd enjoy the creativity involved in this project.

It's called the "4th Street Aquarium Project," and is set up in an empty storefront.  You just walk up and take a look through the windows.

The exhibit is an art project made completely out of recycled plastic, 
meant to look like an underwater scene.

Here's a quote from the newspaper article that lead us to go check it out.

"Look closely, and you’ll see the coral reef is made from about 2,000 plastic bags. Rubber gloves, egg cartons and crocheted newspaper bags take the form of other vegetation. Fish come to life from Hello Fresh packaging and chip bags. Styrofoam and milk jugs form a large turtle."

How about that octopus?

The two artists, Heather Rubald and Kathryn Vinson, created the underwater scene with the help of recyclables collected from community members, including something like 2,000 water bottles from Loveland High School.


I even found Nemo!

And there's the turtle in the back!

One more quote from the newspaper article, written by Pamela Johnson, from the Loveland Reporter-Herald:

"The artists hope their work will create pause for people to find ways to reuse things, to reduce their waste, to buy products with less packaging and made from recycled goods. They also hope it will create some of the joy they found in making the aquarium, as well as smiles."

Well, it's sure making me think!  Hope you're having a great week!  I'll be back tomorrow with my post for the Salt and Sand Blog Hop.

For today, I'm joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.









18 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a cool exhibit! That is a great way to get people thinking! Loved the little Nemo!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow that is an awesome exhibit and the imagination is awe inspiring.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I wish I was close enough to see this in person, how very creative!! Love the message too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow that is neat and I bet it took awhile to create too

Linda said...

What a quirky, smart, and pretty thing to do with plastic! Isn't it amazing what folks come up with? Looking forward to your blog post tomorrow. :)

grammajudyb said...

Thanks for sharing this! Isn’t it creative!

Vicki in MN said...

What a fun thing to go check out, thanks for sharing it with us!

Shannon said...

That aquarium is so cool! I love the use of old materials and plastics, and I love all the vibrant colors!

Florida Farm Girl said...

That is a really creative and neat project. Good for them bringing attention to the need to reduce our use of single use plastics and such.

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun thing to discover and enjoy!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Incredible!! Thanks for sharing, Diann.

Barb N said...

What a fun gift for the community!

Scrapatches said...

Thanks so much for posting this window scene, Diann! ... :) Pat

chrisknits said...

How cute! The problem I find is that anytime you order or buy something there is soooo much packaging. I ordered 3 shampoo bars recently and they came in a box that would have held 10x that amount. I am trying to find an alternative to buying my laundry detergent in big plastic bottles, but not sure I trust the laundry sheets.

LA Paylor said...

yea the computer worked long enough to visit & comment!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! How cool is that storefront?! I am certain that the displays bring many smiles to the faces of everyone who passes nearby. And what a great message it contains! That is right up my alley - I love the whole idea of reusing and repurpose. The old adage of one man's trash is anyone's treasure. Let it be a treasure before you throw it in the trash! ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

What a great art installment. Imagine all the plastic used in it, and that's only a small drop of the plastic that's in the ocean. Pretty and educational!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This is awesome. The imagination and creativity of folks always astounds me. I would love to have seen this.