Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Hand-Pieced QAL -Block 2

This week's block for the Hand-Pieced QAL included half square triangles.  I could just imagine all the participants saying to themselves, "Oh boy, here we go.  Okay, I'll give it a try!"

I dug into my chosen fabrics for this QAL, and pulled out these two -


The print fabric is all about beachcombing, which is my absolute favorite thing to do whenever we are anywhere near the ocean.

Treasures!


Here is my finished block for this week - 


Even after watching Kristin's video on Facebook about how to make sure you get your blocks to the correct size: the right way to cut, marking the seam allowance with a mechanical pencil, and sewing a thread or two to the right of my drawn line, my block still measures 6 and 3/8 inches square.  Since that is the same as my first block, I'm going with it!  :)

So, now there are two hand-pieced blocks!


Thank you, Kristin and Patty, for organizing this fun QAL, and providing us with lots of learning opportunities!  

Linking up to the Hand-Pieced QAL party at Elm Street Quilts




5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I imagine the block was supposed to be 6.5? So often mine are like that too - too small not by a lot but too small no matter if I do them by machine or hand - why? I do scant seams and then they are not all the same and have to squared up!!

chrisknits said...

It's looking wonderful so far!

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks! Congrats on getting them finished, especially the HSTs, those are hard enough on the machine!

Patty said...

Lovely block. Thanks for linking up as part of the Hand Pieced QAL!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your block looks perfect to me! Hope you are coming back to Oregon soon for more beach combing soon.