Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, January 13, 2019

A new take on an old WiP and some Slow Stitching

Back in April of last year I showed these 5 inch squares I'd been cutting for a project I was calling Mellow. 

Blues, grays, and greens...

My idea for these squares was simple patchwork, no pattern, just straight rows of squares.  That sounded good to me.  But there they sat, and I never touched them again!  

Until this week.  I was reading Jeanne at Spiral Quilting's post about her blocks for this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge which came from the book, Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth and Charlene Spode.  Something about that book title sounded familiar, so I went down to my sewing room and hunted around until I found it!  I have that book, too!


I looked up the block Jeanne is making, called Northern Lights, and I remembered my collection of 5 inch squares!  


I also happened to have recently bought a charm pack of Grunge White Paper, which would make a great background fabric for these blocks.

Every set of two prints and two background squares makes an 8.5 block.


Two 4 patches and 2 HSTs!


So I've been making a few!

Technically, it's not like starting a brand new project, right?!  :)

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! 

For my evening stitching, since I finished up the redwork embroidery I was working on for Christmas, I decided to go back to practicing my hand-piecing for the upcoming QAL.   I had made a simple 4 patch pretty successfully back in early December - 


So I've just kept going, and ended up with nine of them!


This week I've been sewing them together into a 36 patch square, and it's almost done.

All hand stitched!

Today, I think I'll pick out a border for this little piece, and turn it into a doll quilt.


Sharing at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.














24 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have the Big Book of Nickel Quilts - I haven't looked through it in ages and this reminded me to do so!

Kat Scribner said...

That block is so fun! when you put 4 together, it almost looks like a circle, love the movement.

Libby in TN said...

We Suckers have to stick together. I could have done Northern Lights (it is on page 38, I think), but the yellow background turned me off (I should know better). Now Jeanne's got me thinking about Dawn to Dusk!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your hand pieced project is so sweet!
I'm hoping to join in on the hand piecing quilt along too!

Chantal said...

I'm glad you got to use your 5" pieces. They are lovely fabric. Just love the four blocks you've made. I like it when others remind me what I have at home and haven't used yet. It's like discovering the book all over again. ;^)

Louise said...

Nope, not a new project at all! Once you've cut pieces, it's a WIP :) I love that your hand sewn quilt will be a doll quilt! Lots of love in the handling of that one!

MissPat said...

I tried to do a hand piecing project quite a few years ago (needed something to work on while traveling). Unfortunately my block (a four-patch posie design) came out so uneven and not the right size, that I resewed most of them on the machine when I got home. I have the Big Book of Nickel Quilts, too, but haven't made anything out of it yet. Which could also be said about the numerous other quilt books in my collection.
Pat

Jayne said...

I am so in love with this block! The aqua colors are beautiful with the grunge. You didn't really start a new project. The block were already cut, thats a WIP...you just changed your mind for the design...totally allowed! I'm off to find a pattern for this block...I must make it!

Preeti said...

Simple and Effective. Love the fabrics too. I am sure it will make a lovely quilt.
I can totally relate to the sudden inspiration bringing life to a forgotten precut/project.

Jeanne said...

Good start on Northern Lights! :)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty blocks, your squares turned beautifully!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You picked a perfect block for those soft fabrics. I think the quilt is going to be lovely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

piecefulwendy said...

I have that book too. I've made Mt. Hood in one of her classes; it's one of my UFOs I hope to finish this year. She makes the process so easy.

Kathy S. said...

That's a beautiful block--perfect for those five inch patches! I can get that book at our local library. And you are correct-- technically it's not a new project! Wink, wink! Have a great week. :)

StitchThrifty said...

Nice blocks. That is one nice doll baby quilt.
I have added your blog to my reader, I found you via Slow Sunday stitching. Have a terrific Slow Sunday Stitching.

CathieJ said...

Obviously your original plan for those pretty squares just wasn't right. I really like your change of plan. Your doll quilt is very pretty.

chrisknits said...

Your patches were just waiting for their true calling! It will be a great quilt! Love your 4 patch quilt, so sweet.

Deb A said...

I think I have that book! I did the one that makes 2 quilts - hubby has one and my nephew has the other. Your squares were just waiting for the right quilt....I think they are happy with your choice!

Great job on the hand piecing. A cute little doll quilt.

Kat said...

I have this book. I have yet to make something from it. Your blocks look great! It will make a cute doll quilt!

gayle said...

Absolutely not a new project! I know a WIP when I see one! 8)
I think I have the Big Book of Nickel Quilts, which contains that book. I need to go hunt it up! (Now, how can I justify anything I start as totally not a new project?)

moosecraft said...

Nickel quilts are so much fun! Sew, cut, spin, sew....repeat! Those stacks of 5" are evolving into to something beautiful! Now....I'm going to have to find a copy of that book too....lol!

maggie fellow said...

what are the chances of 3 of us making this quilt in one year. serendipity:)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

My hat is off to you for hand piecing! Lovely stitches. I'm liking your new block also. Can't wait to see the finished project. mary

Linda said...

Those blocks make such an interesting pattern. When I first looked at the picture in the book I thought they weren't using the same block you made, then I looked closer!
Ugh, I haven't even practiced my hand-stitching! I need to add it to my list.