Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Hand-Pieced QAL

The Hand-Pieced QAL got started with the first block this week, and I was ready!



Awhile ago, I had set aside these two fat quarter bundles for this QAL - some novelty ocean prints purchased from Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove, California, and a bundle of different blues from Connecting Threads.


This week, I matched up the blues with the prints so I could get started on the first block.


The pair at the top are what I decided to start with - that print reminds me of a place at the Monterey Bay Aquarium called the Open Sea.  I cut 8 two inch squares of each fabric and stitched up some 4 patches.

I had practiced my hand-piecing with 2.5 inch squares, and these felt tiny in comparison!  I did notice that a scant 1/4 inch seam was important for keeping the dimensions of the finished block correct.  The first one I stitched came out a little small.

Here is my final block - a bit wonky, but since I'm considering this QAL a learning experience, I'm going with it!


Linking up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts and Kristin at Simple. Handmade. Everyday for the Hand-Pieced QAL!








5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a good start for sure!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I haven't hand pieced in forever. Your block looks beautiful!

chrisknits said...

Looks great! It will be a wonderful quilt.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great block and I love your fabrics!

Patty said...

Great block - thanks for joining the Hand Pieced QAL link-up!