Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Midweek Update

I've been working on the next blocks for the Pieces of My Life QAL at Melva Loves Scraps.  These blocks are celebrating our "Steps to the Altar" with our spouses.  Fun to think back on, although some of my memories are a little hazy these days!  ðŸĪŠ

Mike and I met in 1974, in between my sophomore and junior years of college.  I'm pretty sure he must have asked me to marry him the following summer, but it wasn't anything like the events that kids nowadays pull off.  I think we were sitting out on my parents back deck, and he said, "I think we should get married; what do you think?"  I bet you can guess my answer!  

The first block that Melva had us make is called "Diamond Solitaire." 
I didn't want a diamond engagement ring - I preferred a gold band, and mine is a Black Hills Gold ring, which I love.  Unfortunately it needs some repair right now, but it looks a lot like this one below.


Our second block is called "Steps to the Altar."  And our first step, of course, was to pick a date, which we decided would be January 9, 1976.  It was during Christmas Break right before my final semester of college, so we had a winter wedding!  The other interesting thing about that date is that it works out to 1-9-76 when written just in numbers.  That made a good PIN number when those started to be a thing you needed in the 1980s.

This was a fun block to make - it actually makes think of a bridal bouquet!  I decided to make it with my aqua scraps since I was getting them out for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in July.  

Other steps to the altar included figuring out the invitations (which I ended up hand writing), the dresses - mine and my two sisters (which my mom made), flowers, the ceremony and the reception - the typical things.   My college roommates and friends gave us a kitchen shower, and I dug out a photo from that time.  I think they gave us a lot of spices!


Here are all the blocks I've made for the QAL - I'm really liking them!  I haven't had a chance to get started on the q-a-y-g of the first section, but hopefully this week.  I have all the materials I need for that - just have to make some time to work on it.


Linking up with Midweek Makers at Quiltfabrication.
And Melva Loves Scraps for the Steps to the Altar block link-up.














14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun to read the stories as you make each block for this quilt along. Your constant fabric is great for adding lots of other colours to your blocks. Gail at the cozy quilter

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your blocks but really love the story of you and Mike! So sweet! Sending hugs!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a gorgeous ring! Fun to see your progress on the blocks.

Linda said...

Love your sweet story, and that picture of you and Mike is so cute. I've never heard of Black Hills Gold rings - I love it, and now I want one! :D The block turned out so pretty. I'm looking forward to making mine.

Vicki in MN said...

So fun to hear your story! Being a South Dakota native I love Black Hills Gold jewelry! Your ring is gorgeous.

grammajudyb said...

I enjoy your stories that you share while making these blocks. We had gold bands too! Ours didn’t start out as BH gold, but being a machinist, Mr. Busy wore his out. We replaced it for our 30th anniversary with BH Gold. I’m still wearing my original one. Love the Steps to the Alter block! It does look like a bouquet! 💐

PaintedThread said...

Pretty ring. I always enjoy when you share old photos. Those blocks are coming along nicely. :-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the money and extravagances that the young people do now for getting married is crazy to me - I think they go into debt before they even say I do. The comparison between two of my nieces for their upcoming weddings is crazy - one out east and sorority girl has had party after party, week to the Caribbean with bridesmaids (8?) reserving part of a hotel for wedding guests - I'm not going to that one I would have to arrange to fly also and I hate to say it but I barely know the girl. My other niece is having a small church wedding has had one wedding shower that I missed and it was at the local community building - the wedding will be at a local barn that holds functions guests are encouraged to be casual they printed out invitations on their printer and designed it too.
I lost my wedding ring about 4 or 5 years ago, I replaced it with a band but it got too tight quickly and I've been going without one for over a year.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great post. I enjoyed reading about your wedding band and the kitchen shower!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I love those Black Hills gold rings, Diann!!! And yes, I agree, in our days the proposal was pretty low key! No videographer in sight!?! Fun sharing! Fun blocks!!! Happy 4th!!!

Melva said...

Thanks for telling of your steps to the altar. I love the story and the ring. My Grandma got a BH gold ring in the mid 70s. I have it now and just love it. Your blocks are all beautiful 😍

Deb A said...

Love hearing these tidbits of your life. I knew I never wanted a big wedding, so eloping (or booking a Sandles week vacation where they threw in a wedding on the beach) worked for me! Pretty blocks.

viridian said...

I like your steps to the altar block!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a sweet story to the beginning of your family and how wonderful to have a winter wedding. Oooh a Black Hills gold band- how pretty! Your blocks look amazing too. You are rocking this QAL. Hugs.