Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Monday, October 17, 2022

To-Do Tuesday #157

Good morning, and happy Tuesday!   It's To-Do Tuesday at Texas Quilt Gal - thanks, Linda, for hosting this fun link-up each week!


I've continued to make slow progress on a couple ongoing projects as well as joining in with the Autumn Jubilee QAL at From My Carolina Home.
  • The Frosties are sewn together with their sashing and cornerstones, and I went looking for a border fabric the other day.  The sashing fabric (red with white stars) was a Joann's purchase leftover from the Positivity quilt backing last year.  Unfortunately I couldn't get more of that one, so I ended up with a red with white snowflakes.  Since this is just a little quilt for my wall in the winter, I'm happy with it.
This is what it will look like.

  • Full Stop has its backing pieced, and I've been pressing it and cleaning up the stray threads on the back side of the top.  *Not* my favorite job, lol!  Hoping to have a chunk of time this week to get the spray basting done so I can start quilting it.

  • I've been making pieces and parts for blocks for the Autumn Jubilee project, too.  The block reveal was in Carole's Friday post - we're making "Road to Oklahoma" blocks which I haven't made before.  Four of them together create a great star design, and Carole has several possibilities for layouts in her post.  I think I'll make a runner (16 x 32 before borders), and hopefully have enough of my fat quarters left to make a couple of placemats to go with it.  Here's my progress so far:

This week's list will be continuing the same path - making any progress I can with the above projects.
  • Border for the Frosties.
  • Spray basting step completed for Full Stop.
  • Finish up to eight blocks for Autumn Jubilee.
  • During my evening slow stitching time, continue to sew together the rows of my hand-pieced plus quilt top.
Have a great week, everyone!







17 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Did you know that if you miss removing a stray thread before quilting your quilt that it can be removed with a fine crochet hook through the fabric? I learned this in a class. Very good tidbit of info to have . The snowflake fabric is perfect for the frosties

Libby in TN said...

What size is your Road to OK block? I came across one yesterday in my orphan box and it is orange/lime green, finishes 12". I'd be happy to send it to you.

Linda said...

Your snowflake fabric looks nice with the stars. Road to Oklahoma looks great! That is one of my favorite blocks, but would you believe I've not made a quilt from them? I need to check out Carole's post - I keep forgetting about it. Thank you for sharing with To Do Tuesday!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Awesome progress on your Autumn Jubilee quilt along project, I love your background fabric!!

Jeanna said...

Your Frosties embroidery is just so sweet and I love the fabrics you are using for the Autumn Jubilee quilt.

Michelle said...

I like the scrapiness of Frosty’s borders. Beautiful stitching on Frosty too. The Road to Oklahoma blocks look interesting. I love the colors you chose for the project.

grammajudyb said...

I like the mix of stars and snowflakes with Frosties! It will be a fun quilt. I’m not fond of pressing and de-threading a quilt top either. It seems endless! As usual, your Autumn Jubilee blocks are gorgeous! Looking forward to the table runner!

Bonnie said...

Frosty (and his borders) looks terrific. I like the way you used the two different fabrics. Nobody would know it wasn't how the pattern was written or planned. I'm so bad with quilt alongs. I'm behind on 2 of them now....

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pressing and cleaning up the back is not a favorite of mine either

Susie H said...

Great progress on several quilts. I didn't know that was the Road to Oklahoma block. Looking forward to making some blocks when we get back from vacation. I was AWOL last week due to retreat and a visit with my friend from TN. I miss my sewing machine! Ha!

piecefulwendy said...

Fun to see what you are working on. Now I'm off to read more of your posts that I've missed. You are such an inspiration!

Kathryn T said...

Love all your work. Well I admire you being so good about cutting all the threads off the back of the quilt top, I hate doing that and never do it very well. Love the Frosties its gorgeous. And the Road to Oklahoma blocks are going to be great.

Ivani said...

I like how the Snowmen quilts is looking, Diann the 2 different red fabrics are great together. Your blocks for Autumn Jubilee are beautiful, great idea make a Table runner and placemats. Good luck with your list for this week.

Vicki in MN said...

You will have a great looking fall table runner with Carole's QAL. Frostie is looking really spiffy with stars and snowflakes! Have a great week:)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely to see these blocks, Diann. All so beautifully sewn and pressed. Especially enjoy seeing your embroidery too and I love those stars and snowflakes too.

chrisknits said...

I saw her reveal and thought, I need to make that! But it will likely get put aside because of all of the other stuff I just "needed" to make! LOL Wonderful progress on all.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

I couldnt work out what the first photo was , I've never really seen the back of the top of a quilt before!
The colours of the fabric in your autumn jubilee project are fab!