Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, October 29, 2022

A finish to share...

Earlier this week, I finished up the little hexie flower quilt that I've been working on for several months.  I think I started making the flower blocks toward the end of April, probably when I was anxious to see more Spring flowers blooming!


I ended up making 9 flowers, appliqueing them to w-o-w background squares, and sewing the blocks together with floral sashing and cornerstones in green and pink.  

I hand-quilted this little quilt around all the hexies and the flowers, as well as the white squares and sashing.

About 28 x 28 inches.

It was a beautiful fall day here on Saturday, so I had fun spreading this Spring-like quilt out on the pretty fall leaves in our backyard.  (Then we raked them all up, lol!)


And then here it is, indoors with my Jo doll (from Little Women) made by my mom when I was little.  Jo was always my favorite character in the book.

Here you can see the backing (a floral 30s print), and the pistachio green binding.
A fun little finish! 

Sharing at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.










25 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes a sweet little quilt Diann. Love the backing too!

Kate said...

Congratulations on a very pretty finish!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that turned out cute - I think Jo was my favorite in that book!

Linda said...

Cute finish Diann! Your fall yard was a pretty spot to photograph, and that backing could not have been more perfect.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Boy is this one pretty! I love that you hand quilted it as well! What a great piece! It's HAPPY!

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is a cute little quilt, a perfect fit for your Jo doll, happy stitching!

Libby in TN said...

Definitely a sweet finish! I have yet to start my little flowers. I like your setting.

PaintedThread said...

What an adorable little quilt!

Julierose said...

Lovely little hexie flower quilt--I like that green sashing and binding...nice work--hugs, Julierose

Angela said...

That is a very cheerful and charming quilt!

Vicki in MN said...

I like little unexpected elements like your two extra pink corners in quilts, it adds to the charm.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Sweet little quilt, I haven't gotten into the hexie thing.

Barb N said...

Hand quilting was the perfect thing to do for this little quilt! I love that you still have your Jo doll displayed. My grandmother made me a Raggedy Ann and Andy doll when I was very young, as well as a set of bears that I still have! They usually reside in my Hope Chest but come out from time to time.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your little quilt is beautiful, Diann. I have enjoyed watching your progress on it so much so that this week I started my first hexi quilt . Thank you for the inspiration and enabling me into a new project. I hope you do not mind if I copycat. I am dreaming of a quilt similar to yours.

piecefulwendy said...

That is such a cute little quilt, and you've given me an idea for some EPP hexies that I have stashed away. I'm behind on your posts again -

Sarah said...

Lovely finish!

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish! Hope you have a great week!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Jo looks like she is very pleased with her new quilt! Great job, Diane!

Ivani said...

It is a lovely finish, Diann, and Jo doll looks so happy with her cute quilt!

Jenny said...

Such a pretty little quilt. And you are so lucky to have a doll made by your Mum.

CathieJ said...

What a pretty quilt. I like those hexie flowers. I loved reading Little Women, but didn't really like one sister more than another. How wonderful that you still have your Jo doll. PS..I still have several dolls at my moms house.

Nann said...

Hexies for Halloween? Charming! The doll is a treasure.

Michelle said...

Such a sweet quilt! I love hexie flowers.

Sandy Panagos said...

That's darling! It's been a while since I made a doll quilt. You've got me thinking....

Preeti said...

Tiny in size but Mighty in beauty and joy!!!