Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, August 13, 2021

Table Scraps in Turquoise

 This week I finished up my Table Scraps placemat for the month of August in shades of aqua, turquoise, and teal.  Like several others in my placemat series this year, I started with a few leftover charm squares.  For lack of a better idea, 😊, I sewed them into a big nine patch.

The nine patch itself was about 14 inches square, and I want my placemats to be 12.5 x 16.5, so a border was needed to make it wider.  How about a soft yellow?

I think that worked!  


Some simple quilting, including one of the decorative stitches on my machine, and a darker blue-green Grunge for the binding, and it was all done.


But wait, you have to see the backing!  The front of this placemat is kind of boring, but I thought this would be great for the backing!


So now there are eight!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 
Joyful Quilter's Table Scraps link-up at the end of the month.

















24 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

This is so fun to see! You have a great line up of placemats! Hard to believe we have 4 more months of 2021.

Ivani said...

It is pretty and the backing is great.
Well done Diann. All your placemats are beautiful.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love the backing but really love seeing all of the placemats together--GORGEOUS!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the backing. I need to start to make new placemats for us - we do use them but I have a stack of woven mats and they work pretty good so have not replaced them

Mari said...

Sometimes simple is best! Love the backing and the whole cheerful placemat family.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Love the new place mat! It's calm on the front, and a road trip on the back! Great photo of all your place mats, the colors are outstanding.

Lin said...

Nice aqua finish and what a great collection of placemats. xx

Vicki in MN said...

Great photo of your 'tower' of placemats!

Deb A said...

I love seeing these each month! Such a great way to build a collection. Hope Mom is doing well.

Cathy said...

Super placemat with an awesome backing! I love your clever array of the mats in the shadow of a tree.

grammajudyb said...

Good job on your Table Scraps project! I’ve been slacking! Maybe this weekend I’ll get a brainstorm! So fun to see all your placemats together !

Maggie said...

Beautiful placemats, the collection is growing. Love the backing on the aqua one with route 66. Enjoy your week.

gayle said...

What a fabulous set of placemats you've built! The newest one's backing is pretty "trippy"... :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome addition to your collection, Diann!!

Jenny said...

Such a pretty aqua placemat, and the the right, the backing is amazing! Are you going to keep all these lovely placemats or maybe making them to donate? You are certainly having fun making them.

Linda said...

I love that placemat, and the backing is very special because it has Oklahoma on it. ;)

Linda said...

I forgot to add, that decorative stitch is really pretty!

Chantal said...

Great backing! Love to see them all together. Well done for keeping up with this every month. ;^)

Jayne said...

There's always a workaround to getting a quilt the right size! Lot's of beautiful placemats!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love your placemat pathway! They all look great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

chrisknits said...

I am so far behind on placemats right now!! Love your collection.

Marly said...

All eight placemats lined up together are such fun! And, they are SO useful!

LA Paylor said...

look at all of them together!!! how fun. Route 66 so cool. Did you used to watch that show? I did

Jane said...

The placemat family is growing more wonderful every month. So good! Jane