Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, August 27, 2021

Baby squirrel

 I think the baby squirrels in our yard are all grown up now, but not the ones in my sewing room.  I didn't do much with aqua this week, just one Easy Breezy block...

That alphabet print is one of my favorite scraps!

It was a leader/ender block for these little guys, which are leftover bonus triangles from Follow the Garden Path.

These HSTs are 1.25 inches finished.

I stitched them together into a tiny rectangle.  It measured 5.5 x 6.75.  After that, I felt like it needed a small border to stabilize the tiny HSTs, so I chose this leftover yellow print that's also from the original quilt.


Some simple diagonal quilting and leftover dark gray Grunge for the binding, and ta dah!

Finished up at 7.5 x 8.5.

Perfect for my glass of iced tea out on the back porch!

A tiny Drop Everything and Make It!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 
Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap and at 
mmmquilts for the August DrEAMi link-up.











17 comments:

Ivani said...

Your mug rug is so cute, Diann, I love that you used all those little HTS. It's a happy mug rug, just perfect to brighten up your afternoons on the back porch.

Linda said...

You put those leftovers to good use - what a cute mug mat! There is nothing quite like a good squirrel is there.

Deb A said...

Really cute! Sometimes you just need to follow the squirrel.

Susie H said...

How sweet! I've got bags of cut off triangles and other pieces. I really should pull them out and make something too. I'm working up my nerve for crumb piecing, something I've never tried before. Enjoy that glass of iced tea. It won't be long until you'll be wanting hot tea! ha!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes it looks like you have baby squirrels in your sewing room! A lot of them

piecefulwendy said...

Well, isn't that the cutest thing ever? I'll be right there, to join you for a visit and iced tea!

PaintedThread said...

Tiny HSTs! It's a cute finish.

sandi s said...

Super cute mug rug! Hugs,

The Joyful Quilter said...

Who doesn't love baby squirrels? Way to make use of those small Bonus HSTs, Diann!!

grammajudyb said...

Go you! Teeny weeny hst are so cute! Great job! They sort of get wonky on me! I’m not sure why! Need more practice I gues! Anyway, cute, cute little ice tea coaster! So cheery!

JanineMarie said...

Adorable! And if your weather is like ours, you really needed something to catch iced tea condensation. Fun use of the tiny HST leftovers.

MissPat said...

Wow, there a tiny HSTs flying all over the place and I think they were all 1.25". Kathy and LeAnna also did mug rugs with their leftover triangles in the last few days. I started some tiny pinwheel blocks with cut offs from a baby quilt, but they've disappeared into the disaster area known as my studio.
Pat

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What an adorable mug rug! I love how you use up your scraps making cute things. I tend to store the scrappy leftovers like a squirrel and then wonder why I have so many.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your baby squirrel made a huge impact! What a great ice tea mug mat!! It is bright and happy! What a great way to use scraps!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Those triangles were tiny! I admit, I always end up swooping those into the trash. But I really like your little cozy....

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Bonnie said...

That is a very cute little mug rug. Lots of work for a squirrel project. But fun!

Sandra Walker said...

Well that is just super! I love making something pretty AND useful with things others may throw away. I have one very similar on the toilet tank in our bathroom where I have a fake rock (made out of molded plaster?) that says Peace on it.