Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, September 29, 2017

These monkeys want to dance!

Four orange-ish monkeys were made in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge orange month way back in 2016, and they have been patiently waiting for me to get them back out again so they could play with their friends.


I *finally* got some more Kona Maize which I have been using for the sashing between these very scrappy blocks!  (the scrap quilter's dilemma - when your scraps run out and you need more!)

I needed to cut some more scrappy cornerstones, so I went to the orange box first.


And a few more in some other colors.  I loved finding the last tiny bit of one of my favorite text prints!

Unleash your creativity and be inspiring!  :)

And here we are - all the monkeys playing nicely together!  But...


They said, "No way!  This traditional setting is boring!  We want to dance!"  Of course, I'm thinking, "How do I do that?"  And then I thought about Bonnie Hunter's tutorial for the Dancing Nine Patch quilt, and wondered if I could make that work for my monkey friends.  

And I think I figured it out! I already had the sashing sewn on, so it was just a matter of turning the blocks correctly, like this!  And I do like the way the cornerstones meet in the middle every so often.


Here is the layout as it is now - just a bit more fun!  (And it also has the benefit of giving me way fewer seams to match up, yay!)  After sewing the blocks together, I think a narrow inner border and wide outer border will be just what these monkeys need!


Sharing at So Scrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday. and
                Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!







17 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great idea to change the layout. Monkeys never line up :)

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Libby in TN said...

Much more interesting. I've never tried that technique; I'll have to put it on my to-do list.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your layout looks great!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I love the new arrangement. What a difference! Have a great weekend. mary

Vicki in MN said...

Yes I like the new layout as it is playful just like your monkey blocks.

Alison V. said...

Very cute!

Cathy said...

You are so clever! You and the monkeys just made me realize that I am way too staid and boring in my settings. Thanks for the lesson on mixing it up. And great idea to corral those monkeys with a border! xo

scraphappy said...

Silly monies can't stop dancing. They are so much fun.

Sandra Walker said...

Ooh! Those are great now! They went from 'ya...' to YA BABY!!

MissPat said...

There go those monkeys, jumping on the bed again. You found a lively solution.
Pat

Angie said...

Great setting idea - I can see the Monkeys are much happier!

marebear said...

Love the funky layout. I, too, am a retired teacher. Isn't it great to have so much time to sew?

Cathy said...

Cute. Isn't it fun how each block looks different depending upon placement of light and dark fabrics?

I made a really big Little Monkey quilt years ago and didn't use any sashing because I like making monkeys but not sashing.

Jasmine said...

I've always loved that dancing layout. It looks great with your scrappy blocks.

Lynn said...

Looks wonderful, great idea that works really well. Must give that a try.

Kate said...

You can't have boring monkeys. I'm pretty sure there is a law against it. You came up with a perfect setting. Very fun!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your monkeys want to dance, of course they do! And they certainly look great in that layout.