Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Marvelous Mini Finish

This week I spent quite a bit of time finishing up my Marvelous Monday Mini quilt, made during a quilt along with Temecula Quilt Co.

I knew my mini was going to need a bit different finish than what they were suggesting because of the colors I used for mine.  With the lime green, orange, and turquoise, I couldn't think of much else besides black that would work!


I happened to have some Kona Black scraps that a friend gave me recently and decided to use them for sashing and a border.  I cut the sashing at.1.75" and the border at 2".  I also decided to add some cornerstones cut from the leftovers of the block fabrics.  After piecing a backing and spray basting the layers together, I quilted it in a wavy meander from side to side using Aurifil in Light Jade, which Cynthia shared with me last year.  It was fun to have a project that I could use more of this pretty thread on!  


Here it is, all finished!  It measures about 21 x 21. The binding is a fun coral w/orange polka dots that I had in my stash.  I'm glad I have more of this because I'm going to enjoy seeing it again in future projects!

I like the back almost as much as the front!  I used a fat quarter of cream with black stars, and added the 17th block and other scraps which were leftover from the blocks to bring it up to the right size.


I think that block would make a good label, although I haven't written anything on it yet!


This scrappy finish will go on the wall in my sewing studio, and I'll enjoy seeing it everyday! 

Linking up with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.




23 comments:

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

Great Job! LOL, I really like your backing too!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it turned out great! love the black with the colors in your blocks - a nice table topper size or little wall hanging

Libby in TN said...

Beautiful showcase for some fun blocks.

scraphappy said...

What a fun quilt. Minis are great at giving that great sense of accomplishment in so much less time.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Black was the perfect choice to make those blocks pop.

gayle said...

What a beauty! Even the back is terrific!
I haven't started to set my blocks yet, or even started dithering about colors. Your choice of black for the sashing/borders is really appealing - thanks for the inspiration!

sewyouquilt2 said...

perfect love it!

Kat Scribner said...

Lovely sampler quilt, the colors pop and sparkle. Like the quilting on it too. Nice finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE it!! Quilt and quilting. Enjoy!

Kate said...

Your Marvelous Mini turned out beautifully. The black just makes those color pop! Congrats on a fun finish.

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

Marvelous Mini is living up to its name, definitely worth the time and effort despite the small patches. I see you only made two of the 36 patch blocks. The funny thing about this mini is that it appears larger than it actually is. I love the quilting. It's going to look perfect hanging up in your studio.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

The black was a great choice to show off those bright blocks. The colors are beautiful! And the thread worked perfectly too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Edith said...

Fabulous mini quilt, love the back-art.

chrisknits said...

How adorable is that quilt!! Love it.

Cathy said...

Cute!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

All of those tiny pieces / truly amazing! :) It looks wonderful!

Cathy said...

What a stellar quilt! I love the colors and most especially the quilting! Yay for you!

margaret said...

looks lovely if in doubt use black is my motto! and it has worked so well really makes the colours pop

Linda said...

I already loved the blocks, but the black made it even more perfect! Great job. :)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Love the blocks, but the quilting is stunning!

Vicki in MN said...

OMG~I love your mini, it turned out just adorable and I love your wavy quilting. You know I have never gotten the hang of that, I just can't seem to get it-what's up with that!! Maybe I need a mini to practice on, LOL Maybe after the shows are over.

claudia said...

That is an awesome mini! I love the way you quilted it and the colors are great. The black is perfect, I think!

Janet O. said...

Your choice of black sashing really puts a spotlight on those happy colors!
Clever quilting pattern, and I do think that block on the back is perfect for the label!