Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, September 8, 2017

Orange Strings

Since I was on a roll with my low volume string blocks last week, I decided to keep going and finish up the orange string blocks that I need for my String Star design.


It didn't take long to complete all of the orange blocks!


Since I hadn't used up all of the orange strings that I cut, I decided to keep sewing with them, using a couple pieces of scrap batting for the foundation.


These turned into a couple of bright and happy September coasters for our morning coffee!


This fun polka dot made the perfect backing for them!


Now that all of the string blocks are finished, I can plan some time to get this top sewn together.

Oops!  There are a couple of blocks turned the wrong direction over there on the right side!  Lol!  I didn't notice that until just now, looking at this photo.  Good thing those are just the blocks laying out on my design floor!

This coming week, I'm looking forward to meeting up with Cathy of Cathy's Crazy by Design and a few crafty friends for a mountain sew day.  I think I will be working on putting my String Star quilt top together!  

Happy ScrapHappy Saturday to all of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge friends!  I'll be linking up at SoScrappy!









23 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I thought maybe you were trying to make a design decision. I kinda like the mistake ...

Julierose said...

Lovely string star--they are such fun to make...great job hugs, Julierose

Kat Scribner said...

Your string quilt is so adorable! Love it.

Linda said...

I didn't even notice the wrong-way blocks - it all looks so very pretty! Love the orange. The way the block is turned kinda makes it look like an arrow. :)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I'm loving your scrappy strip quilt! Makes me wanna do another one. I find them so relaxing and creative at the same time. mary in Az

Sheila said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your quilt blocks!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

It is amazing how often a mistake is easier seen on a photo than on the design floor! Good thing you had not sewn them yet. What a great design.

scraphappy said...

What a a fabulous design! So glad you found the little oops before they were all sewn together. Love how everything came together. H

Cathy said...

Oh, this will be so much fun to see in person. And I can be a second set of eyes for you to make sure the final project has no "oops!" orientations! LOL

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This looks amazing! I really like the placement of the yellow. Nice work!

gayle said...

This is just gorgeous, Dian!
(And a perfect example of why I always always always photograph my work before sewing stuff together. It's amazing what shows in a photo that hides in real life!)

The Joyful Quilter said...

My eye fixed those wayward star points. Can't WAIT to see the design sewn up into a top!!

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a great way to use up scraps! I love your star quilt! Wowsa!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That is amazing ( the pattern ) and equally amazing is how we don't see something until we take a photo !! :)

margaret said...

quilt looks so good, have a lovely stitchy time with your friends

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A very effective way to use those string blocks, I love it!

make.share.give said...

Love the multi-colored polka dot. It reminds me of the animal in Dr. Seuss' Put Me in the Zoo.
Taking a picture always helps me. Can't see the same thing lying on the table but in a pic it stands out :)

make.share.give said...

Love the multi-colored polka dot. It reminds me of the animal in Dr. Seuss' Put Me in the Zoo.
Taking a picture always helps me. Can't see the same thing lying on the table but in a pic it stands out :)

Angie said...

Love the orange strings - they really make the star sing! Can't wait to see the finished flimsy!

Vicki in MN said...

Love those orange strings...the look of it in that second pic is fun too!! Have fun at your sewing day:)

PaulaB quilts said...

A great design finish. It's been a suspenseful project, so nice to see it. Those orange polka dots are so lively and fun. Cute coasters too. Wish I could be there to.meet you and Cathy. She is so excited.

Kate said...

Your Stringy Star is gorgeous. Have fun with your sewing buddies. Looking forward to seeing this project all finished.

sewyouquilt2 said...

love your stringy star. so pretty and those coasters will just make the start of your day sunny and fun