Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, September 22, 2017

Orange-ish

One last little bowl of delicious orange cherry tomatoes from my garden before the end of the season - so yummy!


Every time I work with the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I look through my scraps and stash and have the same question, "Is this orange (or purple, or red, or...)?"

For example, this one - is it orange or is it brown? Or orange-ish-brown? :)


I'm not sure where this fabric came from.  I don't think I would have bought it, and it definitely isn't in any of my other projects.  Maybe someone offered to give it to me, and I just couldn't say no.

This week, I was making some of the September blocks for Kat and Cat Quilts' Covered in Love Block Drive (click HERE for more info), and I pulled this one out.  I thought it might be one of those that would look good paired with other fall fabrics, in a small amount.

I decided it did work!

So it grew on me, and I decided to use it another little project.

(More about this one later.)

And then it dawned on me - orange-ish brown is PUMPKIN!  Perfect!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.




18 comments:

gayle said...

I know what you mean about the "is this orange?" queastion. I frequently dither between oranges/golds. Then I just embrace them all and just keep going!

Libby in TN said...

That's what I've enjoyed (and simultaneously been vexed by) about RSC -- the variations in colors.

chrisknits said...

Orange is one of my favs!!! Love that one you have here.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Isn't it amazing how a fabric that at one point you didn't even care for--becomes --hey I really do like you and you will be perfect in this project!!
enjoy the moments, di

ES said...

Sometimes you've really got to use a fabric before you can decide if you like it!

Marly said...

I had the same dilemma this morning: "Is it orange?" but I decided that piece looked dirty next to the others so put it back in the box. Next to orange it looks like yellow ochre, but with yellow it looks tan ... and so on. Someday I'll find a place for it!

Deb A said...

I think some of the fabrics fit into either color way depending on the other fabrics and what you are doing with it. I could see a cute pumpkin made up in that one for a nice rustic fall wall hanging .... or a maple leaf =)

Mari said...

It's orange if you say it's orange! :)

scraphappy said...

Pumpkin-- I like it. Orange can be many colors, this one is perfect for fall

Quiltdivajulie said...

Why I like being a scrappy quilter - lots of variety makes it more interesting!

Cathy said...

Yes, that is definitely a fabric that would fit into this month's color scheme. Besides, it's cute as heck! I can't wait to get back to sewing today!! I love your Covered in Love blocks!

PaulaB quilts said...

It's hard to decide about orange. When it's dull, it waants to be brown. I don't love brown. But it does blend in fine.

Angie said...

Perfect - you found pumpkin spice fabric!
I usually use your technique - if a fabric color is questionable, I just keep playing with it until I find the fabrics that it works with. Sometimes the fabric just doesn't play well with other fabrics, so back in the bin it goes.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your CiL blocks turned out great in shades of ORANGE!! Here's a little hint: I have trouble deciding, too.

Magpie Sue said...

Oh yes, I'm always dithering over shades of a specific hue. Most of the time it doesn't matter but it drives the Perfectionist in me nuts!

make.share.give said...

Love those blocks with a diamond in the middle. We still have another 40 tomatoes on our plants...slowly ripening. Must have been a good year for them.

make.share.give said...

Love those blocks with a diamond in the middle. We still have another 40 tomatoes on our plants...slowly ripening. Must have been a good year for them.

Kate said...

Pumpkin definitely fits. I've decided if I can't tell what color it is, then no one else will be able to tell either. Hope you get in lots of stitching this week.