Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 31, 2026

This and that...

Once I finished my Bells tabletopper early in the week, I couldn't seem to settle on what to work on next!   There are plenty of "should-be-working-on" projects on my list, but nothing I was in the mood to tackle.

So, I ended up jumping from "this" to "that" and adding blocks to the Parts Department.  First there were these bonus HSTs that have come from the trees I'm making to go with the house blocks for Year in the Neighborhood.   Maybe I'll end up using them in the final layout of that quilt?


Then I made a few of these 2.5 x 6.5 rectangles using the Sprinkles print and a couple pieces of every color we've worked with so far this year.  Not sure how I feel about these yet - a whole quilt of them would be really busy!  Unless I grouped them by color?  Still thinking!


And then, I got started on some string blocks.  I make these periodically when I need some sewing that doesn't require a lot of brain power!  I have some stored away in multiple colors, but for now I'm just showing the aqua, light blue, and neutral ones.  

I'm liking the beachy feel of this!

There are even some seagulls flying around in a couple of the blocks!


Eventually, I was able to get back to one of the "should-work-on" projects.  I filled up a bobbin, changed my needle, and started In quilting again on Patchwork Hearts.





It was a fun week with a finish, and then just playing with some scraps,
and eventually I worked my way back to getting some work done toward another finish.
Very satisfying!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.













5 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Sometimes it is just hard to decide what we want to work on. You did good, perhaps you will have to make a string quilt with just the beachy colors since you like being near the ocean:)

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

I don't know about you, but I have trouble getting inspired during this HOT weather. I needed a jumpstart this week and just started straightening up my cutting table and sorting some fabrics and soon I was ready to go! Your working on this and that is a really good idea to get those creative juices flowing.
What pretty fabrics you show in your photos! I like the photo of your Patchwork Hearts quilt with that amazing sewing machine.

Nann said...

Happy and scrappy! All these units will eventually find good homes in wonderful blocks.

Sara said...

I like doing string blocks for the same reason - the need to sew something, but no idea what I really want to do next. I did some Parts Department sewing this week too.

grammajudyb said...

Fun to see your beachy string blocks. I’m imagining them ina quilt. Very calming.