Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, July 29, 2026

I Like Thursday #494

It has been ice cream weather here!  Yum!


Last week I decided to harvest my pumpkins because I didn't want them to be sitting out in the heat any longer.  I got three this year - all about the same size, but definitely different colors!


Meanwhile in the garden, these volunteer marigolds are very happy to be out from under the pumpkin vines.  And two more volunteer pumpkin plants are growing!


Today (Wednesday) was my favorite volunteer activity of the year - stuffing the backpacks that are given to kids who help getting their school supplies.  We did somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200 of them this year!


LeeAnna's question of the week is about a favorite vacation - and what made it memorable.  We seem to enjoy vacations that involve boats and bridges, and one of our favorite bridges to visit is the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  We've been there quite a few times, but two favorite trips really stand out.  One trip was with both of our kids, and I got this picture.  Probably my favorite family photo of all time!

Everyone always asks why I think of this as a family photo - and
it's because I took it - so I was there, too!

Another favorite trip there was when took the "Bridge to Bridge" ferry tour around San Francisco Bay which went from to the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate, under it and back around.

My happy husband, on the boat ride with his camera 
and his favorite bridge in sight!

Joining in with Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.
















 

16 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

The ice cream looks yummy. Do you have a favorite flavor ? Yah on the pumpkin harvest! Your marigolds are looking wonderful. I hope you are to get another pumpkin or two for the small vine. That is a wonderful photo of the Golden Gate Bridge and the fam. Someone has to take the photo . Right? Lol. Happy Thursday, Diann. Hugs

Anonymous said...

I’m always the one behind the camera too! I usually hand my husband my phone and say…make sure our daughter knows I was here too!
Ice cream days are the best! My favourite flavour is bear claw but our local ice cream place quit making it! We found another dairy that still produces it though…thank goodness!
Those are great pictures of the bridge. We have not been there. Our vacations often include hiking.
Have a great day.

Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Nann said...

Such fun to recall vacation memories! I read somewhere that the average back to school supply expense is $640 per kid.

Vicki in MN said...

Do all the back packs stay in your community or get sent somewhere else. I have 3 volunteer pumpkin plants with two pumpkins coming along nicely, this is a first for us.

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Yum on the ice cream! Is that homemade? Your pumpkins are beautiful! Did you plant them, or were they volunteer? Looks like that is a good growing spot.
I love the photo of your three men taking photos.
Your backpack supply activity reminds me (not in a good way) of one that was an annual event at the last church I worked in. The gal I worked with, who had been in charge for years, was a drama queen who wanted me to do all the work while she got all the attention - lol! So that's my memory of a not-fun job. ;)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Yes, it has been ice cream weather! Although, my four year old granddaughter would declare any weather ice cream weather! Your family photo is a winner! I can see why it is a favorite memory of yours!

piecefulwendy said...

Pumpkins already! They are really cute. Fun to see your favorite vacation photos. Filling those backpacks, what a fun day!

Jeanna said...

Hubby has been making lots of ice cream this summer...so good. Your pumpkins are perfect! I love the colors. I've donated items for the kid's backpacks but have never been involved in packing. My daughter and I have packed boxes for "forgotten soldiers" before. I miss that. Love the family photo. Family vacations are the best vacations. Enjoyed seeing your family photos.

Angela said...

I love that family photo! It is perfect!

PaintedThread said...

Cute pumpkins! I can't eat ice cream right now (waaaahh!). Yours looks delicious. That is a perfect family photo! LOL

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the ice cream looks delightful. My favorite vacations are always to the mountains

Bonnie said...

Ah yes, ice cream is perfect on a hot day. We used to go San Francisco some when we lived in Southern California. It's been at least 5 years since our last visit. We toured Alcatraz. Very interesting and so would not have enjoyed living there! As lovely as the Golden Gate is do you also go to Ghirardelli? We used to go to Fishermans Wharf and then Chocolate Square.. (I think those are the right names.). I think we need another trip there if we just get crabs and chocolate! Great picture of the photographers!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love the photos of your guys at the bridge! What a wonderful memory! It is surely ice cream weather these days! I love your pumpkins! Have a great day!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Whoa!! the Backpack packing is amazing!! and yes - I see that as a family photo - what fun you all love photography!

Sandra Walker said...

I’ve never seen that bridge, though I could talk about a certain beautiful bridge I helped pay for in my city, that’s been in the news in an infuriating for Canadians way… Pumpkins and backpacks—still make me twitch a bit as they signal the end of my (former) summer vacation and back to school. However, I love that volunteer activity and get why you do too!

Kate said...

This summer definitely needs ice cream. My Guy made peach ice cream early this year and it's been so good to cool off with this hot summer. It would be hard for me to pick a memorable vacation, we've had so many.