Colorado peaches are here! Yum! I look forward to them every year. They are early this year - I think because we had such a warm winter, the peach trees must have bloomed early. These are all grown on the western slope - across the mountains to the west of us.
The rabbits are eating everything I've tried growing in my little flower garden, except the alyssum. I decided I'd better share a picture before they start snacking on these next! Fortunately they can't reach my large pots!
I found a new author that I've been enjoying, Ethan Joella. I read two of his books in a row over the last week. Interesting characters and stories. They start out kind of sad, but then the characters figure things out and the endings are good!
I got some happy mail yesterday - it was a package from Melva at Melva Loves Scraps, a special treat for participating in her Little House sew-along. Thank you, Melva!
LeeAnna's question of the week is about potato salad - how do you make it? I just happened to have made a batch of potato salad for the 4th of July. Of course I use Mom's "recipe," which might be written down somewhere, but I just know how to make it. Red potatoes, purple onion, celery, and hard-boiled eggs. I season the potatoes with a little vinegar-sugar mix, plus salt and pepper. Then mayonnaise to mix it all together.
My mother-in-law made hers completely differently,
with mustard, mayo, and pickle relish mixed in with the potatoes.
Of course I ate it, too, because... all potato salad is good, right?!
But when I make my own, it's my mom's recipe every time!

14 comments:
Nice to get a squishy package in the mail. Those peaches look delicious. We are still in strawberry, raspberry and blueberry season here. Yum!
I’m not a big potato salad fan…but I do make lots of other types of salads. Gail at the cozy quilter.
Those peaches do look good. I'm a bigger fan of nectarines and the ones in the grocery store have been pretty good lately. Potato salad is one of my favorite summer things. Our family version uses a mustard base.
Oh those peaches! How interesting they are grown on the western slopes. Do you eat them "plain" or make crisps or on ice cream? Is the answer simply "YES" - lol! I have a Texas peach waiting to go on my oatmeal this morning. In Oklahoma, there was an old orchard next to my childhood house that had peach and apple trees. Talk about old-fashioned flavor!
So envy your peaches! Our spring weather killed a substantial part of the fruit harvest this year. I love the fabric you received from Melva! You are right, all tater salad is good and I love your recipe! Thanks!
Oh! Those peaches look amazing! I can't for some to be available around here!
Those peaches made my mouth water! I think I could smell them from here! What great happy mail and in your color way too! I make my mom's potato salad too. . .mustard, dill pickles, boiled eggs, onions, potatoes, salt, pepper and mayonnaise.
I always drizzle vinegar over my boiled potatoes while they're still warm. Gives those potatoes a nice little zip! Oh, those peaches look yummy! Reminds to go buy some for Mom & my yogurt!
THe peaches looks so good. We are enjoying South Carolina peaches at the moment. They are super sweet. I need to get more for freezing. My potato salad is very similar to the one my MIL made. She was such an amazing cook. Lots of the same ingredients as your Mom's but I do not add celery, and the onions are sweet. I could eat potato salad every day...but I don't LOL.
Oh, I forgot....nice gift from Melva!
my potato salad that I use is from my mother in law - one of two recipes of hers that I like - and I actually preferred her potato salad to moms lol - diced eggs - usually red, boiled eggs diced, and pickle relish from a jar - and mayo thinned with a little bit of milk salt and pepper and paprika dashed over the top. She did have raw onions in hers but raw onions have never settled in my stomach well so I leave them out.
Those peaches look amazing. Pretty alyssum. Funny how everyone has a different potato salad recipe.
Those peaches are just begging to be made into a cobbler! My potato salad is different from either yours or your moms, LOL! I don't use celery because I hate it, nor pickle relish as I don't like that either. So, for me, not all potato salad is good. I use green onions and bacon for crunch with a mayonnaise, mustard and touch of vinegar dressing..
I do love peach season. Go alyssums!
The fresh peaches look yummy. I haven't seen any at our farmer markets yet. Oh those naughty little bunnies! I am glad they are leaving your alyssum alone. Mmmm your Mama's potato salad sounds like my Nanny's - yum !
Post a Comment