Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Pieces of My Life - Chimney and Cornerstone

I just finished up the next block for Melva's Pieces of My Life QAL, and here it is!  I've enjoyed making each block so far, and it was the same for this one.  Choosing scraps, figuring out their placement, sewing, pressing, and doing it again until finished - my favorite things to do!


When Mike and I first met, he had just gotten out of the Navy a few months before, and he worked at Kodak in Windsor, Colorado, and lived in an apartment near his work.  I was in college at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, so eventually he moved there, so we could be in the same city before we got married.  After we were married, in January of 1976, I moved into this cute little place where he had moved in the months prior.

This is a screen shot from Google Maps.  We lived in the left side of the little duplex, and the owner's elderly mom lived in the other side.  We took the rent money over to her every month - I think it was $200!  We had one bedroom, one bath, a tiny kitchen, and a living room.  It seemed old back then - and that was almost 49 years ago!

Mike continued to work at Kodak - in fact he worked there his whole career - and I finished my last semester at CSU.  We only owned one car, so I rode my bike or walked to school.  (Although, Mike will be quick to tell you that I did drive the car to campus a few times and ended up with some parking tickets... I couldn't get my diploma after graduation until I paid them off!  Oops!)

Once I graduated, we moved to Loveland - just down the road about 10 miles.  That was where my family lived, and we still live here today, although my siblings are spread out around the country now.

This week I also got around to sandwiching the second section of the quilt top with its batting and backing, and started on the quilting, too.  

Lots more to do!

Sharing at Sew and Tell Monday at Melva Loves Scraps.
And at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.





17 comments:

Linda said...

What a sweet story! That block is really pretty. Your old duplex looks nice even today. We moved to a duplex after living in an apartment for a couple years. We thought we were in heaven - lol!

Vicki in MN said...

I love hearing about your earlier years;)

Kate said...

It's always fun to think back to when you started life as a couple. The small apartments, the dealing with cars and all the early stuff of becoming a couple. Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised you could find the duplex. That's amazing!

Melva said...

What a cute little place. 😊 Dave and I recall the Sonny & Cher song... they say that love won't pay the rent, but as for me, I think you're heavens sent.... Babe. Being together was all that mattered.
I think our rent was $200/month as well.
Your block looks great. 😍

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we lived in a little place too like you. We were in a military town in California and we lived in a tiny one bedroom place like you - it was a two story house the owners made two apartments on the bottom floor each with side entrances and they had the top floor. If I recall right in 1972 we were paying $125.00 a month rent and some how we manged to keep our grocery bill really low and survived with a baby on the way. Amazing how we all were able to make it back then on own without our parents help (although they were just as poor as we were!) we didn't even have a phone -- how die we survive LOL

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

not die - did

Nann said...

What a cute little house! My first apartment was three rooms carved out of the landlady's house. Oh, the memories. The challenge of samplers is that each block sparks ideas for an entire quilt.

Susie H said...

Isn't it amazing how happy we were with so little? Nice going down Memory Lane with you. Are you still in the same house you moved to in Loveland? Have a good Labor Day quilting your quilt.

Deb A said...

Love hearing these snippets of your life! My nephew moved to Ft. Collins about 17 years ago. Love your block and the quilting on the heart is beautiful.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aaah such a sweet story, Diann and darling little starter house. Your block looks amazing. I just love seeing your progress on this quilt. I do need to get on the stick with mine. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

Jeanna said...

Another fun story, Diann. I laughed when you said you couldn't get your diploma until you paid off the parking tickets. Although, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So enjoyed reading your beginning of life with Mike story, Diann. So sweet. But I have to say I was surprised about the unpaid parking tickets bit...does not seem like you, LOL. Lovely quilting pieces shown as well. Happy September!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh my gosh, what a sweet story of you and Mike! I love your block and quilt! Have a wonderful day!

Rebecca Grace said...

Thank you for sharing the beginning of your love story with us, Diann. I can just picture you and Mike in that cute little house!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a tiny first place! I chuckled over the parking tickets. I thought that the campus police issuing the tickets was a way that revenue was generated at the college I attended. There were always a lot of errant parkers!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Thanks for sharing your starter home! We have been remembering our first home (and all it didn't have!) as our oldest just found and brought his starter home. Closing is in October and moving in November...which will bring memories for sure.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Awww - I love this!!!