Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Midweek Update

I've had a visit from the lovely Covid this week, everyone's least favorite company.  There's been plenty of laying around wrapped in a quilt, snoozing in front of the TV or reading, and not too much sewing.  But yesterday I just had to get up and do something - I was going a little stir crazy!  

Fortunately, the next blocks for Melva's Pieces of My Life QAL were simple and quick, and I was able to sew them up without any problem.  I started with the Spool block.


Making this block has us thinking about who taught us to sew, and of course, for me, that was my mom.  She was a very accomplished seamstress and could sew everything from curtains to wedding dresses to men's suits and all of our clothes (4 kids)!  I was a reluctant learner, and never really liked sewing back then - everything was about sewing clothing and I just never found that to be enjoyable.  I always had a hard time picking the right pattern/fabric combination.  Mom said to me more than once that she was surprised I ever got into quilting!  

Of course, though - those skills learned back then were the foundation for the sewing I do now, and I am immensely grateful.    


 
Block number two is a twelve inch Monkey Wrench block.  I chose to make this one with only two fabrics - the background and one color.  All the rest of my twelve inch blocks have some of the floral focus fabric in them, but that just didn't seem right for this one.  And it turns out that I like its simplicity.


For this block, the question is - what is the hardest thing you've ever done?  And I think, as a young adult, that was losing my dad.  He died in 1992, and I still miss him.  Hard to believe he has been gone 32 years now.  It was very sudden and unexpected, which is a big part of what made it so hard.  At the time, my parents lived just a few blocks from us, and one afternoon we started hearing a bunch of sirens.  Then the phone rang and one of their neighbors was calling - "Diann, you need to get over here," and from that moment everything changed.  

This photo was taken in 1985.  Dad got to know his three oldest grand kids up to the ages of 11, 8, and 2.  I have always imagined that he would love knowing them as adults.

Now that all of the blocks are made for the third quarter of the quilt, I'll be able to start sewing them together!


Sharing at Melva Loves Scraps and at
Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.














 

No comments: