Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

I Like Thursday #321

 It's been cold and snowy here...


Well, maybe not this cold, lol!  
Mike was checking Weather Bug the other night, and this is what popped up.
It made for a good laugh!

With the cold and snowy weather, and my half and half vision after the first cataract surgery, nothing much exciting has been going on.  I did make it over to my mom's place to go to a concert with her.  They have performers come in about once a week, and she always enjoys that.

This was a trombone quartet, the Hipbones!

They were a lot of fun to listen to!  I'm fascinated with how different instruments work, so I enjoyed hearing them talk about the different kinds of trombones, too.  Did you know there are tenor trombones all the way to bass trombones?
That was new to me!

I have been able to sew, and even decided I am comfortable with the rotary cutter, so when LeeAnna's question of the week about the Pantone Color of the Year came up, I went off on a search to see if I had any.  

Viva Magenta!  Read more about it there on Pantone's website.  My question: is magenta red or pink?  Maybe somewhere in between?  I found magenta on this chart of the shades of pink.


In my fabric stash I found these two that I think might be magenta:


But I couldn't just stop there - I had to sew something with them - but what?  My first thought was, "What goes with magenta?"  A little more hunting through the stash pulled up a couple things, and then I remembered a block I've been wanting to try - the Zipper block.  I've seen them on several Rainbow Scrap Challenge blogs, but I think the original comes from here, Klein Meisje Quilts.  Here are my first two - in magenta!

Does this mean I've started a new project?
Probably... :)

Thanks for visiting on "I Like Thursday!"
I'm joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color.  









20 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I love the zipper block and I think your fabrics will make a beautiful quilt, magenta or not (tho I think they are).

Kat said...

Pretty pinks..I mean magenta! The zipper block is on my list of “want to make”. Your blocks are lovely.

Anonymous said...

On the colour wheel, magenta is red-violet. I have a separate scrap bin for my red-violet scraps. Nice zipper blocks…another RSC, perhaps? Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Magnificent magentas! I like you zipper blocks and thought RSC, too!

grammajudyb said...

Well, I think your zipper blocks are magenta, and because Pink is the RSC color for February, you are on your way! As my post says, I don’t wear Magenta, there is no magenta in my decorating,the closest I come is burgundy and that’s really dated! There is a small smudge in my pink stash! Glad you are feeling comfortable sewing and cutting!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love all your magenta's and other shades of pink.

Vicki in MN said...

Yep indeed you started a new project and it looks great!! Add it to your RSC blocks to make each month;)

Jeanna said...

Haha, LeeAnna's question led you right into a project. Your Zipper blocks look very nice. I had no idea either that there are different kinds of trombones. It was nice you were able to attend the concert at your Mom's place with her.

Angela said...

So glad you get sew again!

Linda said...

I did not know that about trombones! Yes it is cold where you are. Does your Mom stay pretty warm at her place? I'm in my sewing room right now with my sweatpants and my cozy robe on - lol! I like your magenta blocks.

Michelle said...

What a great way to celebrate Pantone’s color if the year! New blocks. Very pretty.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a concert! Your zipper blocks are great and I'm impressed you could sew so soon after your surgery! WOW!

LA Paylor said...

loved your color discussion. And the name hipbones. The hipbone is connected to the trombone
LeeAnna

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! WOWEE! That is cold, frigid, and we need a new word for -100F. Holy cow! The Hipbones performance sounds like fun. I did know there were different types of trombones - learned that from a guy I dated way back when. Ooh, I like your versions of the Zipper block especially the one with the flower print. Those two fabrics coordinate so nicely together. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

Wow, that would be crazy cold! We're getting a cold blast here this weekend, but not quite like that. I like your new project! What a fun concert.

Ivani said...

I like your Magenta zipper blocks,Diann. For me Magenta is sure Pink.
The trombone quartet concert sounds like fun.

Bernie Kringel said...

Hope your eyes are doing ok. I am headed that way but not quite yet. The optometrist just said it will happen at some point. Ahhh, the glory of being in my 60's! Glad you got to spend some time with your mom. :-)

Susie H said...

Love your zipper blocks! You can never have too many new projects -- go for it!

Sandy Panagos said...

Yes. You've started a new project. lol

Miaismine said...

How funny: -100! I was startled to see that until I read your post! :) Isn't Magenta such a lovely, cheerful color? Love those Zipper Blocks - they'd make a cute pouch!