Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

I Like Thursday #282

Spring is trying to make some headway in Colorado these days.  In between lots of cold, windy days, we'll have a day or two that is really nice and it's enjoyable to get outside for exercise or some work in the yard.

About once a week, I meet a friend for a walk at some trails out on the eastern side of our city.  Here was my view last Friday while I waited for her.  It was a gorgeous day!


Things are greening up and growing, and Spring brings lots of sounds I enjoy hearing.  The grape hyacinths have been attracting lots of bees, and if you get down close to them, there's a buzzing hum that's fun to hear.  So glad I can the bees to come to my yard!

I took this photo on Sunday, and maybe you can see the tulips in the background.  I think they're close to blooming, but this (Wednesday) morning, they're not very happy with our record overnight low temp of 14 degrees! 

Sunday was nice enough that we were able to spend some time cleaning off our back porch so that we can enjoy sitting out there as the weather gets warmer.  This little guy hung out with us in the yard the whole time.  I thought we'd scare him away with all the activity, but we didn't!


Speaking of bunnies, I finished up that carrot I made a couple weeks ago into this mug rug for my mom.  This was a fun, quick project!


And one last thing to share today- my good book for the week.  I have read several recent books by William Kent Krueger in the last couple years, but I hadn't got back to the Cork O'Connor series since before I started keeping track of my reading list in 2017!  I wasn't exactly sure where I left off, so I just picked one, and this one didn't disappoint!  It's a page turner!

I really like the way Krueger weaves Native American language and culture into these stories.  His stories help me understand and see from a different point of view - which I think is a really good thing!

Hope you're having a great week!  
I'm joining in with "I Like Thursday," hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.











13 comments:

Ivani said...

Beautiful view, Blue Sky and tulips. Sweet & cute bunny. Love your carrot mug rug,great idea, Diann.

Vicki in MN said...

Things are wanting to green up here a bit, however it won't progress any this week as we dip into the lower 20's overnight and days are not all that warm right now either, 40 or lower. I love your carrot mug rug, I missed the original post on it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what pretty flowers - one thing I like about Colorado (besides the mountains) is all the walking trails in the towns - we have noticed that every time we travel through. Your flowers are beautiful - I only have a few of the grape hyacinths that washed in at some time. I don't think I have read that author I will look him up on the library site

grammajudyb said...

It’s always fun to walk with a buddy! All the better when you have wonderful scenery too! OMG, your carrot mug rug is sew cute! I’m sure your mom thought so too! We still need to clean up the back deck area too! But the energy isn’t there! Hahaha! It needs to be a tad bit warmer! Happy Easter!

chrisknits said...

The bunny is so sweet, and I bet he was waiting for his carrot!

Susie H said...

Love the buzzing of bees! Just put a Cork O'Connor on my library list. They of course don't have all of them on ebook but I took the oldest one, Blood Hollow. Thanks for the suggestion. Always up for reading a good (recommended) book.

PaintedThread said...

Bun! We saw one in our yard yesterday, too! Your carrot mug rug is very cute.

sandi s said...

I love the Cork O’Connor books! Your carrot mug rug is adorable! Hugs,

piecefulwendy said...

I think things would green up here much faster if the wind and cold temps and snow would move on! Those grape hyacinth are so pretty! Love that little carrot mat, too. I don't think I've gotten to that WKK book yet - but I'm close. I just finished Northwest Angle, and waiting for the next one.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Here's hoping your tulips will still bloom, Diann!! That first photo shows off a spectacular view. Thanks for sharing!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your mug rug! It's so darn cute! Things are getting greener around here but flowers are just starting to bloom. My lilacs should be opening soon. No bunnies in my yard yet but my mom has seen quite a few in hers. Beautiful view to enjoy while you're walking!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I haven't spied any bees, but I do love listening to the birdsong. We seem to have acquired a few juvenile cardinals. Cute mug rug. I have a few buns wandering around late night while I am leaving.

Sandy Panagos said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I will definitely check it out. I've been trying to read more novels focusing on other ethnic groups, and it has been such a great experience!