Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

I Like Thursday #183

That is me, this week, just getting up and carrying on.
Hope you have been able to do the same!

I love it that Spring returned to our neck of the woods this week!  This is a much better view than we had a week ago, after 11 inches of snow...


I'm rewarding myself for getting up and carrying on with two small projects this week.   This little block, called an Eccentric Star, is the first in a set of four shared by Pam Buda at Heartspun Quilts.

The blocks are 4.5 inches, and 
will make a small runner when all finished up.
She's calling it the Safekeeping Sew-Along.

Thank you, Jocelyn, I think it was you who shared info about this little sew-along in a recent post!  

And then I saw that Jayne, of Twiggy and Opal, had published her paper-pieced Heart of the Home pattern over the weekend, and I decided that would be fun to try, too!


My house has a roof so far!

I've also been enjoying listening to Aunt Jane of Kentucky, a story by  Elizabeth Calvert Hall, first published in 1907, and read aloud by Frances O'Roark Dowell, of the QuiltFiction podcast.


A sweet friend left a present by my front door recently.  What a fun surprise!  It is a blank journal and some markers to play with.

Can you read her note?  It says,
"Owl be there if you need me!"

Be sure to visit the other "I Like Thursday" bloggers at Not Afraid of Color,
all of us getting up and carrying on!  











13 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Good likes. Your blocks are cute. We are cold and wet. I would love to have my grass mown, if it would dry out.

Carol R. said...

The quiltfiction podcast is something I've not heard of.. checked it out.. and I think I'm going to enjoy it... thanks for telling us about it. :) Please share that beautiful weather with us; we didn't get the same amount of snow that you did, but we got it and it wasn't welcome. I'm getting impatient about getting my plants put back out on the deck because it will mean that warmer weather will be here for at least a few months. I like Spring, not such a fan of Sprinter (Spring/Winter). The blocks you're working on are cute. I keep thinking that I want to do a house block quilt, but keep putting it off because I've got so many others 'in the works'. Some day it'll happen. :)

Michele McLaughlin said...

Good morning dear! I love your blocks but that artwork at the top of the blog with the boy and horse has won my heart. I think for whatever reason, we all need some inspiration this week. Thank you! Glad the weather is warming up for you. NO MORE SNOW (we actually had a few flakes and some sleet a week ago but it didn't stick). Love your new blocks and sending you many cyber hugs!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice gift from the friend! in times like this we need them. amazing no snow and then cutting grass the next week - or is that a memory? I haven't started any of the projects you show I have so many on the go as it is -

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Aww, I adore the journal and especially the note your friend left you. How sweet is that? Now you know she was thinking of you and wanted to send you good vibes. Cutting the grass! Definitely the first signs of Spring. I will have to check out Jayne's pattern. I have been longing to make a house quilt of some sort. I adore the look of your roof! The chimney is to scale - I can't wait to see what color is below the shingles. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

so many fun links to follow today! Thank you so much Diann good to see Mike out mowing lol. I love Frances McDowell and opal's block is adorbs
L.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Good morning Diann, I do like that artwork, message and also that lovely spring view. Our eyes want that now, don't they. Yes, I had shared that little sal from Pam and your Eccentric star looks awesome with those pretty colours.
I love that little house too and have never tried paper piecing. Hmmm, wonder can I fit it in!

piecefulwendy said...

You have been having fun once again, which is always good to see. I love Jayne's block, but I haven't made one -- yet. Good to see that green grass!

PaintedThread said...

Love the green of that lawn! Yay for some spring. It keeps debating if it wants to be spring or not. Pretty little block - lots of green there, too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Warmer weather, fun projects and a sweet gift!! Sounds like the recipe for a great week!

Linda said...

I love your sweet little block, especially the colors. Yay for the green in your yard! What a fun little gift you got from your friend. Glad you are enjoying your week. :)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Keep on keeping on. That's one of my mantras right now. Along with Keep your humor. Yup. :-) Take care.

Barb N said...

Oh, I love that book! I read it in the store at barnes and noble, and then bought three copies to gift! Good advice always. Glad your snow melted quickly - no fun this time of year. Hang in there!