Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

I Like Thursday #170 - lots of stitching!

Happy Thursday!  I'm joining in with LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color and the rest of the "I Like Thursday" bloggers to share the good things of the past week.

On Sunday I shared my idea for combining some blue and white hand-pieced blocks and some blue embroidery I've been doing, and yesterday I finished the first embroidery block.  I'm really liking how this is turning out - I think it's going to work!

Embroidery block with HST border:


And here's how the row would look when three blocks are sewn together!


I also finished all of the machine quilting going in one direction across my Tiny Tuesday quilt and started quilting in the other direction to create the curved cross-hatch design, and I like it!  You can see the design starting to emerge in this photo -


I really appreciate and enjoy when designers share patterns and quilt alongs with us for free online!  I've decided to join in with the National Embroidery Month stitch along at Crabapple Hill Studios.  I printed the design and directions yesterday.  (I can't seem to find the link to this project at Crabapple Hill, but take a look at this post from Barbara at Cat Patches - scroll down a little and you'll see she has the link and also shows what she made last year during the month of February.)

It might require learning some new stitches, but I'll enjoy that!

When I'm not sewing, I've been enjoying this book:

It's a Depression-era historical fiction novel about some kids who have travel through Minnesota on their own.   Although there are parts that are tough to read, I really like William Kent Krueger's writing, so it has been one I can't put down.

And I also really liked this quote from Martin Luther King that I saw this week!

I liked these ideas a lot!

Hope you're having a great week!  





18 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh the quilt is turning out gorgeous as is the one you are quilting. I love William Kent Krueger. I just ordered Sulfur Springs from the library.

Linda said...

The blues quilt is going to be so pretty - what a great design! I love your curved hatch quilting and have to remember to do it on a future quilt. Are you going to color your embroidery with pencils? I've thought about doing this also, but that part scares me - lol!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will look at the on-library and see if I can find their kindle version. I will pass on the embroidery block as I can not get into one more project right now!!!

Carol R. said...

Love the quote! Your blue blocks are coming out beautifully and I'm getting anxious to see your tiny quilt once it's all quilted.

Susie H said...

Your blue quilt is going to be wonderful!!! Thank you for continuing to share your quilting progress on the Tiny Tuesdays. Wondering how you marked it to keep the lines uniform, especially since they're wavy?

Julierose said...

Beautiful blue embroidery with those two side blocks--nice work
I've downloaded the CA Hill Feb sampler too..looking to see what floss colors I have and might just do it all in blues...hmmm
hugs, Julierose

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I badly need to replace my ironing board cover too, sigh.
Those blues are working out beautifully, Diann. There is something so crisp about blues with whites. I love how you are mixing your embroidery with patchwork. I've been looking at the Crabapple Hill Design too. Your quilting is just so neat and tidy as is all your work.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Oh, what a fabulous quote from Martin Luther King. Be the best of whatever you are. Your new embroidery block with the HSTs around the border looks fab, and especially so with the two other blocks. That will be a stunning work plus you are enjoying the whole process. Win/win in my book. I love the quilting design you chose for Tiny Tuesday - it sure gives the piece movement and especially that particular block. ~smile~ Roseanne

The Joyful Quilter said...

Definitely going to work... Beautifully!!!

piecefulwendy said...

Funny, i was just sitting here, wondering if you were acquainted with Barbara through your blogs. I love it when that happens. Those blocks are looking really good. Love that little flower block too; just the thing to be stitching on these cold winter days!

PatriciaLud said...

Love your blocks - the blue and white is awesome! I especially loved the book, it stayed with me for quite a while. I'm looking for another book by this author. Thanks for sharing on your blog!

PaintedThread said...

Oh, I love your blue and white blocks. Your embroidery is lovely.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your blue blocks are gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the embroidery stitch along. Love your quilting too! You chose a lovely quote from MLK. That book sounds really good. I'll keep it in mind!

Shannon said...

That Martin Luther King quote is great! I really love your embroidered blue blocks! The pieced border is so pretty and it looks great surrounded by the other pieced blocks! I can't wait to see the whole thing finished! How many embroidered ones will you have?

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Love the blue quilt-it’s like a vintage quilt but with the HST’s a modern twist. I’ve not heard of that quote before but I like it,

Deb A said...

Great quote! I might have to use that with my girls on Monday. Your embroidery blocks are looking wonderful and I love the quilting on your RSC quilt. Are you using a special stitch on your machine for it?

Kate said...

The blue and white embroidered project is going to be beautiful. Lots of things to like in your list for the week.

LA Paylor said...

so much to love here! The blues, the quote, books