Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, January 3, 2020

Hello, January 2020!

Even though I have plenty of quilty Works in Progress to keep me busy, I just couldn't begin January without some new blocks to play with!  And the color of the month for January for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is green - always a favorite!

When I found this fun fat quarter in my stash, I knew just what I wanted to do.


And I'm calling this new project "Rainbow Jungle!"

I really had fun making some wonky trees for this Christmas project, so my plan is to make a bunch of them this year, in a rainbow of colors, using both solids and prints.

Since January's color is green, I pulled out several green fabrics, including my inspiration fabric.


And very quickly, I had these trees stitched up!

Each tree is a 6.5 inch square, so 4 of them will make a 12 inch finished block.  Since 20 twelve inch blocks will make a nice little quilt, I'll need to make 8 trees each month.  Eventually I'll sew them into the larger blocks, but I want to mix up the colors, so I won't do that until the end of the year.

Meanwhile, progress is already happening on some of my older RSC quilts!  I've been working on the final block for Tiny Rails.

Orangy-Gold!

I ordered some wide backing for the Tiny Tuesday quilt from Bernie at Needle and Foot Fine Fabrics, and it came yesterday.   I've had this text fabric on my wishlist for a long time, so when I saw that it came in 108 inches wide, and was on sale, too, I ordered a bunch!

I think there's enough for two quilt backings here!

You need to see a close-up - 

"Friendship is like a rainbow between two hearts."
💕

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on this first week in January over at SoScrappy on ScrapHappy Saturday!  










27 comments:

Susie H said...

Love your trees! You'll have a beautiful forest when all is said & done. I don't consider starting your RSC as a hit against your PHD. We're allowed to start new projecs , including BOMs & other year-long ones, but we're supposed to finish them before year's end. That's the part that cracks me up!

Linda said...

Your trees are going to make such a cute quilt!
I love that fabric too and considered adding it to my "Bernie" cart, but in the end I ordered 2 other fabrics. I didn't pay attention to the fact that it is 108" wide, what a great buy!

Vicki in MN said...

I am liking your new crop of trees, great idea!

Louise said...

Your Rainbow Jungle is such a super idea for RSC! And that's wonderful text fabric. You always find such fun stuff :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the text print. I am using some that I have left over from last year on my RSC this year - I hope I have enough!

Libby in TN said...

Love that quote on your backing!

Mari said...

Oh, very cute! I love the new backing, too. Have fun getting the tiny rails finished!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Rainbow Jungle looks like it's going to be SEW much fun!!! Best of luck on getting your Tiny Rails quilt together.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh what pretty trees, Diann. You will enjoy making more of them too I know. Happy Stitching!

Julierose said...

Your little trees are just adorable--I have yet to chose a block for my RSC --something quick and easy so I won't be tempted to "drop off"...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

The trees! Nothing could be cuter! And I can’t wait to see your Dresden sunflowers added to the sprouts blocks!

maggie fellow said...

The trees will be fun. I really like that backing, too

Cathy said...

Rainbow Jungle is such a cute idea for a quilt. And I can see why you wanted to buy lots of that backing fabric.

Turid said...

So fun trees. I just came home, and haven't started with my greens.

scraphappy said...

The tiny rails are so close! The backing fabric you picked is just adorable, so glad that if came in a wide size. So much easier.

Carol R. said...

Ok, just got to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your backing fabric.... any fabric with words or even letters on it melts my heart.

piecefulwendy said...

Rainbow trees, how fun! You come up with such cute projects. Enjoy!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The trees are awesome. OH I love your backing! Where did you get it?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

your trees are PERFECT for that fabric!! an the tiny rails - what a great project!! I ike your backing fabric - Great choice!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

There is a tiger in your tree. Too cute!! I like the idea of making a rainbow of trees.

Kate said...

The trees are going to be fun to see come together. You've already made good progress and we're just at the end of the first week in January. Happy stitching this week.

Birthe Marie said...

I love your blocks with trees, and the jungle fabric was great. I can't wait to see how this continues.
The backing fabric with all the nice lyrics is amazing. :-)

Linda said...

Love those little trees. No wonder you ordered that backing fabric, it’s great.

gayle said...

Oh, those trees are fantastic! What a wonderful idea for the RSC! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!
I also love the tiny rails - they look like an elaborate labyrinth!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love how your tiny rails is looking!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I love those green tree blocks! What a great idea for the RSC challenge.

Deb A said...

What a fun block and fabric! On sale and wide backing... it was meant to be!