Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, November 16, 2018

Back on Track

A big thank you to everyone who weighed in on what color the sashing should be for my Squared Away Sampler!  The gray Grunge got a lot of votes and as the day went on, it grew on me, too, and so the gray it is!

This gray was part of the Grunge Yellow Brick Road quilt I made for my son last spring, and I didn't really think I had enough leftover to get started on the sashing (plus, what if I went to buy more and I couldn't match it?!) so I spent the better part of this week flitting from one project to another and not getting very far on anything!

I made a few more of these blocks -

from Cluck, Cluck Sew

I worked on some Christmas gifts - 

9 Patch tabletopper

I even sorted out my green scrap bin - 


And started sewing up some crumb blocks!

These will definitely be a part of my 2019 scrap projects - I just have to decide where I'm headed with them.

But as the week went on, I thought, why not pull out the gray Grunge scraps and see what I can get out of them?


Thursday afternoon I finally had the chance to get to my favorite quilt shop that has the best Grunge selection so I could get the yardage I need to finish up the sashing. (And they could look up my purchase history to make sure I was getting the right gray!)

Oh yes!

I'm going to like this!

And now I'm back on track!


The next big decision will be about a border fabric, but I'll think about that another time!  :)

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday!








22 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Yep, right choice!

Kate said...

Squared Away is looking great. I may have to borrow your sashing color. I'm still dithering on that next step for my version.

Carol R. said...

Gray grunge it is! yay! I think it really gives some 'life'/pop to your blocks and it all looks wonderful :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great I'm glad you decided on the gray it's perfect with those blocks

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

the gray was an excellent choice but I'm lovin the green crumb blocks. Hopefully I can get back to scrappy sewing in 2019. I've got too many Christmas projects going right now. LOL

Linda said...

I love the gray too! Grunge is my favorite fabric. Looks like you had a fun week. I'm eager to see your pretty Christmas table topper finished. If it's a Christmas gift, I'm not sure I could bear to give it away - lol!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are making some great progress on a number of projects! I haven't spent much time in my sewing room but I hope to change that today.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You had the blocks on the gray grunge. I thought that was going to be sashing AND borders. That, with a bright scrappy binding, would look great! Choices, choices...

scraphappy said...

The gray grunge is perfect! You’ve made great progress.

chrisknits said...

It's looking wonderful!! Can't wait to see what border you come up with.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I am a big fan of grey and that grunge fabric looks great!

Louise said...

Yay for gray! And your scrappy green crumb blocks look really fun. I'm doing crumbs this year for RSC, too. I'll trim them to 8.5" squares and they can easily be bordered up to 10" or 12" finished blocks. That's the theory, anyway :)

grammajudyb said...

The gray is a "gray"t choice!! :) I in a dither about how to sash my crumb/slab blocks.....still no decisions made. Oh well!!

Vicki in MN said...

YES, I like that grunge as the sashings-glad you were able to get more.

Katie Z. said...

Huzzah! What a lovely choice.

Janice Holton said...

I've kind of been out of blog loop for a while so I missed the vote but I think the gray looks pretty darn good!

piecefulwendy said...

It looks great! You have a few fun projects going on too!

Deb A said...

The Squared Away is looking great! Love the choice of grey grundge. Sets off the colors beautifully.

Mari said...

The gray is great with those colors. What a great-looking quilt! Good luck with your other projects!

Cathy said...

Oh, yes! The gray Grunge is a perfect choice!

Fun crumbs!

Cathy said...

Yep, Gray is perfect! I’m going to have to try some Grunge like you to break out of my solids rut!! Beautiful projects, Diann!

Sandy Panagos said...

Getting little bits done on several different projects is a lot of fun isn't it? The grunge sashing looks great!