Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Finish and Some Mystery Sewing

Recently I finished up the quilt I've been working on for my oldest son.   Made from the Yellow Brick Road pattern, it uses 12 fat quarters for the main part of the quilt and then some yardage for the borders, backing, and binding.  I really enjoyed sewing with the Grunge line of fabric for this quilt!


I backed it in a soft plaid flannel, which makes it feel warm and cozy!


Quilting was my go-to simple diagonal cross-hatch.


The finished quilt measures about 57 x 75, and it's done before his birthday, whoo hoo!!!  :)

The next clue in Libby's Magical Mystery Block QAL came out on Friday, and I had a little bit of time Saturday to get some of that completed.

We were to take all of the pairs of 3 inch squares we had cut and make them into 2.5 inch HSTs using the two at a time method.


A little more trimming and I'll have that clue taken care of!


Can't wait to see what's going to happen with all the different pieces we've been preparing for these blocks!

Sharing at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap! 



17 comments:

Jayne said...

I have never done a mystery quilt and I'm not sure I could construct one without first knowing what it will be! It's fun watching you going through the steps!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I might have to find the Yellow Brick Road pattern and do that one for the next charity quilt that I am making - it looks fairly simple to make.

Libby in TN said...

Your mystery units are looking good. We're nearing the finish line!

Vicki in MN said...

The quilt turned out just super awesome!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your son’s quilt looks fantastic. Nice finish!

I have been following the mystery blocks but did not join in. I am looking forward to seeing how they come together.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your grunge quilt turned out fabulous.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

The Grunge quilt is so cool and the plaid flannel is a perfect backing.

Michele McLaughlin said...

That is a perfect quilt for a son! The flannel is absolutely spot on too! Your son will love it!

Kristi B said...

Mystery's are so much fun! And I love the 'guy' quilt. My son often wants the quilts that I make. That sure makes Mama's (my) heart smile! :)

Linda said...

Oh I LOVE how the grunge quilt turned out! You did a beautiful job, and I also love the backing.
I need to make one just like that for my son. He requested one a couple years ago (shame on me!) that I will "tie with yarn like the one you made Dad 30 years ago". He was referring to my method of quilting back in the 80s, which was to simply pull embroidery thread through the layers at different places to keep it all together, if that makes sense. Lol!

Kat Scribner said...

Such a pretty finish, Diann. Congrats.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your (early) finish, Diann. He is sure to LOVE that cozy backing fabric!! (The colors are just right, too.)

Cathy said...

The quilt for your son turned out beautifully, er, handsomely! LOL. Nothing a great plaid (and flannel at that) for the back. Brava! I’m sure he will love it.

Karen S said...

Great finish with your son's quilt. It has turned out so well!

Ramona said...

Your son's quilt looks so warm and cozy! Winter isn't over yet here, so we still need our warm quilts. Great mystery blocks, too!

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish! I'm looking forward to see what Libby's got in store for all those pieces too.

Jeanne said...

We're almost done with the mystery -- woohoo!