Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, August 19, 2018

My Hodgepodge Quilt

Way back in February of 2017, I last posted this picture of a quilt top I made out of a hodgepodge of orphan blocks leftover from abandoned projects.  It was one of those, "I wonder if I can..." efforts.  Read more about this quilt's construction HERE.


I had even pieced a backing for it.


And then, like some quilts do, it sat, waiting to be layered, basted, and quilted...

Until this week!  I had been reading up about using pool noodles (or pipe insulation works, too) to help with the layering and basting process.   Evidently, it follows along with how a long-armer puts the layers on the quilting frame.


Each layer is rolled onto its own pool noodle, and then (a little at a time) you pull out the backing onto the table first, next the batting is rolled out over the backing, and finally the quilt top.  You continue to roll out the layers, little by little, smoothing, pulling everything tight, and pinning until the whole quilt is basted.


There are many videos on YouTube showing the process - all you have to do is search for "Basting a quilt with pool noodles."  It was easy to try it with a small quilt like this one which is about 46 x 50.

I quilted a "liberated" curvy grid throughout the center of the quilt -

This is a view from the back.

And followed the outline of the orange peel border around the outside of the quilt top.



In spite of a few blips and bobbles in the quilting process, I finished it up pretty quickly, and am enjoying hand-stitching the binding on while I visit with my mom!


My hodgepodge quilt will be done before too much longer, and I'm planning to donate it to the nursing home where my mother-in-law is currently staying to be used by a resident as a wheelchair quilt.  It feels good to have this older UFO just about finished!

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!
And Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.








26 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm sure someone will enjoy using this quilt. Years and years ago - going on 30+ I worked at a nursing home for a short while and I was amazed at how many residents had no visitors at all - never not even for Christmas - some were just totally alone in live and had no family nor any friends that visited - so someone will truly love this quilt.

maggie fellow said...

It doesn't look hodgpodge at all - it looks planned and wonderful

Jayne said...

First, congrats on finishing this quilt! Even though it's made from orphan blocks, it really looks planned. Second...I have never heard of the pool noodle basting method!! What the heck? And how do people come up with these things! Did it work and will you do it again?

Deb A said...

That came out great! Someone is going to love this. I especially love the orange peel border and the pieced backing. Great job.

Julierose said...

Oh what a generous donation; I did a couple for the Nursing home where my Mom was until she passed. they were a big hit and I am sure yours will be, too...hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

I love these kinds of quilts..leftover scraps, leftover blocks, pieced backings
Very interesting technique for basting!
Enjoy your hand stitching!

gayle said...

I agree with the consensus here - it really does look like a planned quilt rather than a hodgepodge! It's a beauty and is going to make someone very happy! (It's already made me happy just looking at it!)

Louise said...

What a great, scrappy, fun quilt! Love the cool blues and greens. Glad to hear the pool noodle method worked for you, too. Congrats on a sweet and generous finish :)

Chantal said...

Great use of orphan blocks. The orange peel border is just right for your quilt. It is awesome and I'm sure the recipient will love it too. ;^)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I had forgotten about this quilt. It is great seeing it again. Enjoy your visit with your mom and thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I like your improv scrappy!

chrisknits said...

such a cute finish! Love the colors.

Dresden Quilter said...

It is such a sweet quilt. Thank you for the information about pool noodles. I always find it difficult to baste.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

What a wonderful quilt even though it is made up of a hodge podge of parts. I agree the pool noodles are wonderful for smaller quilts.

CathieJ said...

What a pretty quilt and what a great idea to layer quilts.

Cathy said...

I love how used the colors to tie together all your leftover blocks. It’s a great quilt and will be much appreciated in the nursing home. I like the idea of pool noodles a lot more than the old 2x4’s that I used to use. They were heavy (and square!)

Bonnie said...

Great UFO finish. Doesn't it feel great to mark that off your UFO list. And, it turned out really well.

Kay said...

This is a fabulous quilt, and someone will be very lucky to get it. I often get stuck at this point as I loathe the basting, although my least favourite part is the actual quilting. x

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a lovely little quilt! Your orphans all play so well together. The recipient will be thrilled with their new lap quilt.

Vicki in MN said...

Congrats on your finish! Isn't it amazing what we can come up with when we set our mind to it. I had heard of the pool noodle usage before, of course I never tried it since I have a long arm. But I agree it is sort of like we do. Over all were you happy and will use that method again?

Preeti said...

Beautiful blues. Love the orange peel leaves. I am sure someone will appreciate the comfort and warmth that this quilt will bring to them. You are a sweetheart.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great idea with the pool noodles! That is a great quilt!

Kate said...

Such cool and calm colors in your misfits quilt. Enjoy the slow stitching time with your Mom.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely quilt. I do love how all your orphan blocks play so well together! Interesting about the pool noodles, and I too wondered if you liked using them?

Sandy Panagos said...

Oh my gosh, it's SO cute! Sometimes hodgepodge quilts are the best.

Barb Neiwert said...

Such a lovely quilt and worthy of the finish. Someone is going to love it! That's great that the pool noodles work for you :)