Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Experimenting...

I never have had a Dresden Plate block on my quilty bucket list, until just this week when I started to think about how to finish my Scrappy Sprout project.  Maybe a top section of blocks that look like sunflowers would be fun?  Hmmm...

So I decided to do a little experimenting.

After reading some Dresden Plate tutorials, I went and bought a ruler and pulled out some yellow scraps.


In between stitching together blocks and rows for my Bowtie quilt top, I made a few Dresden blades here and there.  They are surprisingly easy and quick to make!  Before I knew it, I had all of these - 


The part that wasn't so easy, and why I call this experimenting, is the Math... Lol!  The tutorial I read was for making 6" blades for a Dresden that would be 13 3/4" from point to point and I (think) I want mine to be a bit smaller.  So I cut my blades 5" tall, and just kept sewing until the circle was finished!

Not too bad, for an experiment!  Although the edges lay flat, it does get a little "poofy" towards the center, and it's made of an odd number of blades - 19!  But I think it might work.  My Dresden block is 12 inches from point to point - that was more the size I wanted.



So here's a peek at what I'm thinking of, so far.


The blue at the top is a piece of Grunge leftover from other projects, but I do love that color and I think a large piece of it going across the top of 4 columns of sprouts could hold 4 Dresdens in different colors.  It's a thought, anyway!  :)

Hope you're enjoying your Sunday!  Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!





21 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Wow - turned out perfect!! I have seen the ruler but never bought one

Libby in TN said...

Ooh, OOH, I love it!

Chantal said...

I love where your thoughts are leading you. Can't wait to see more of this one. Enjoy! ;^)

Deb A said...

Love where this is heading! Great job for tackling the dresden. It looks great.

Carol R. said...

I really like doing dresden plates - and I'd better because I had three 'kits' waiting in my 'want to do someday SOON' list/bin. I especially love yours because they're YELLOW.. my favorite color. I agree with the others - it looks great - both on it's own and sitting atop the sprouts.

Louise said...

Oh, that's really pretty! I love the idea of Dresden sunflowers with your sprouts!

Kathy E. said...

You are a math whiz! The Dresden is lovely and looks so pretty atop the stem of colored leaves! Making a Dresden plate has long been on my bucket list, but it is always pushed down the ladder.

Julie in GA said...

What a great idea for finishing off sprouts! You might consider a scrappy blue sky to tie in with your blocks .

Kate said...

What a fun way to finish off your sprouts blocks!

Kat Scribner said...

Oh perfect dresden flowers. Love your plan!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a great idea! I have always wanted to make a dresdan Block so I can’t wait to see how yours turn out. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

That's going to be a really fun finish for those sprouts! I've never made a dresden plate quilt, but it was my grandmother's favorite and she made several. Considering she hand pieced and hand quilted every one of her quilts, that's a big time commitment to one design!

Janice Holton said...

Very fun! I haven't ever made a Dresden Plate either. I'll be interested to hear how you liked it when you're all done. :)

Michele McLaughlin said...

GREAT IDEA!!!

chrisknits said...

I made my first Dresden this year and love them! I need to get back to exploring more ways to use them. Love your idea here.

Unknown said...

Good idea Aunt Diann 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻😍👍.L Lov Ellie 😃

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Well, I happen to love making Dresdens and this was a perfect idea you had! Your quilt is going to be so pretty with that Dresden.

Cathy said...

That’s a great idea to add a sunflower to the top of each column of sprouts leaves! It looks darling! Dresdens are rather fun, aren’t they?!?

Jasmine said...

This is super cute. I love the idea of big flowers at the top.

Nikki said...

I am making dresdens for our August guild program AND sprouts is on my to do list (not for August, lol). I LOVE your idea.

Sandy Panagos said...

Ooooh, that is so cute! I'm getting ready to make my first dresden plate block, too, but I want mine to fit on a 10.5" square. You have inspired me.