Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, June 22, 2018

Bowties and Tiny Rails

This week I had time to finish up my turquoise Tiny Rails block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge -


25 - 2.5 inch squares make a 10 inch finished block.  I have ten of these fun scrappy blocks now.


I'm thinking I'll need 20 to make a useable sized quilt - maybe it will need sashing, too, but I'm not sure about that yet!  :) I'm just enjoying using up the smallest bits in the process of making these.

I needed a few more bowties to make a total of 10 needed for that project, so got those done this week, too.


I like the variety of darks and lights, prints and solids that I was able to find for these blocks!

This one is a favorite, made out of a chunk of fabric I forgot I had, stuck underneath a pile in my fat quarter shelves!

I think it's from a line of fabric called Elementary, by Sweetwater.  I originally used it to make something for my teaching partner several years ago.  I was glad to see I still had a little bit left!

For more turquoise and teal goodness, be sure to check out the ScrapHappy Saturday link-up over at SoScrappy!




11 comments:

Kate said...

The Tiny Rail blocks are going to make a very fun and colorful quilt. You've done a great job of getting some of your scraps into quilt blocks. Hopefully your scrap bins are a little less full.

Kathy S. said...

The tiny rails look great together!

scraphappy said...

On its own, each little rail block is so simple, but together, wow, what a pretty collection.

Louise said...

I love fabrics with words, letters or numbers on it! That Sweetwater piece is...well, sweet :)

Linda said...

Love your blocks. Great selection of fabrics.

Katie said...

Those tiny rail blocks are inspiring me, but I do NOT need another project. Hmmm...they're so pretty though...

Edith said...

Tiny Rails block is great, it does feel good to use up those small bits doesn't it?

Cathy said...

I love text fabrics too.
Your rails are just lovely. After I finish my blocks using the little bits I may have to make some rail blocks too or maybe little windmills. Time will tell.

Are you close to enough blocks for the Bow Tie quilt?

Angie said...

The Tiny Rail blocks look great together! Not sure I would break them up with sashing.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

More great blocks! I am copying you and making some of those zigzag blocks. Mine are bigger pieces though :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a wonderful selection of RSC blocks!!!