Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Midweek Update

I'm making progress on another Christmas project this week - inspired by the Joy wall-hanging that I finished last week - and made from some of the same holiday prints cut into 2.5 inch squares.   The eight 16 Across blocks I made have been sewn into a top for a tablerunner.

I'm liking this zigzag effect that is created by the lighter squares!

I flirted with the idea of piecing the backing, but when I realized I could get the whole back out of a half yard of fabric, I decided to just go find something at Joann's.   Lucky for me, the holiday prints were all still on sale from Thanksgiving, so I got this backing for $2.50!


So, the layers are all basted, and I've been working on the quilting.

I'd like to start decorating my house for Christmas, 
so it would be great to get this finished!

I'm also still working on sorting through the scraps in my Little Penguin Scrap bin, and making 4 patches out of any 2.5 inch squares that I can match up.  But I also found some little HSTs in the bin, which trimmed up to two inches.  After making a few extra - I came up with this fun design!  I think I'll make them into a little mug rug.


Sharing at Quiltfabrication for Midweek Makers.
















14 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Diann, do you have any idea how much you inspire me? I just love both of these projects. Thank you, thank you thank you!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Fun little projects, it is nice to have a few quick finishes.

Linda said...

Your table runner is so pretty! I am toying with sashing and cornerstones on mine. I tried one yesterday and kind of like the look. You did really well with the lighter on the corners. Mine are a bit muddled with beiges but overall I love the scrappy Christmas look. How fun to pull such pretty scraps from Little Penguin. :D

Kate said...

Your table runner is really cute, perfect for the holiday. Looking forward to seeing what else comes out of your scrap bag.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such a great runner for the Christmas season! You have wonderful scraps.

Vicki in MN said...

And I bet you have the perfect spot picked out for it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't think I ever asked what kind of sewing machine you have? that model doesn't look familiar to me

grammajudyb said...

So much fun and pretty fabric in your table runner. I need to book mark that block. My moving stuff, unearthed fabric I had forgotten about! Ugh! 16 Across might be a good block to use to get rid of some !

Claire said...

Nothing like sorting scraps to give you ideas! The table topper and small HST project both are fun.

piecefulwendy said...

How fun to get a good deal like that, it just makes the shopping so much more fun! Your runner turned out so nice, full of festive holiday colors! I like that litle mug rug, too!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Cute, cute table runner, Diann!!! Love the scrappy goodness of your mug rug, too!!!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

These are both great projects for using your scraps!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is such a darling tablerunner, Diann. Great use of pretty scraps and that punch of red- just grabs my heart!! It is going to look great with your Christmas decor. Happy quilting.

chrisknits said...

I love your HSTs mini!!! And the runner is perfect for Christmas. Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving! And I ADORE Northern Exposure!!!! Bringing back memories.