Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

I Like Thursday #364

Good morning, friends!  Thanks for visiting on I Like Thursday hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.  Thinking back to last Thursday, hope you had a great Thanksgiving!  We had both kids here, plus went and got my mom for a few hours.  It was a really nice day.


We often exchange Christmas gifts at Thanksgiving in case the weather isn't nice enough for us to get together in December, and here is one of our gifts from our younger son.  Did you ever watch "Northern Exposure?"  We loved that show, and haven't been able to find it anywhere on our streaming channels.  Now we can watch it!


I bought myself a present this week, too!  This is for a monthly stitch-along with Kathy Schmitz starting in January.   You purchase a panel that's printed at Spoonflower and have the choice of doing it in red, green, or blue.  I picked the blue version, and have bought the matching embroidery floss, too.  I'm looking forward to getting started on this!


LeeAnna's question of the week is about Christmas cards - do we send them, and what kind?  I love Christmas cards!  I love getting them, so I try to send some every year.  Sometimes it's a few, sometimes a lot.  I try to keep in touch with college friends and faraway family members that way.  I try to include a newsletter, too - not the kind that everyone jokes about where your life and kids are perfect, lol! - just a catch-up for friends I don't talk to very often.  I enjoy photo cards, so we make them ourselves through the Walmart Photo Center.  In fact we just ordered and picked up this year's cards today!

Sorry about the glare - it's hard to take a photo of a photo!
This was taken on our trip in September - we were at an overlook above a favorite spot along the Oregon Coast.

Now that we have the Christmas cards, I guess it's time to start working on getting them sent out!






















12 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with the family. Gald that everyone got home safely after the snow last weekend. Your new project is going to be gorgeous! I like you Christmas card. We did photo cards a lot when Grad Girl was a kid, she took cute photos. Turns out cats are just as photographic, so we are back to photo cards this year. Happy stitching this week.

Linda said...

Love that photo of your Mom and your son! She looks comfy on your scrappy quilt. I remember Northern Exposure - what a neat gift. That's a nice Christmas card of you and Mike. I love newsletters! Mom and I used to get such a kick out of one of her relatives who sent out one of those "perfect" newsletters every Christmas. She had to include every award, every trip, every promotion or accomplishment of each member of her family - lol! I would read it to Mom in my pompous voice, and she would get so tickled. Thanks for a good memory Diann. ;)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I liked Northern Exposure it has been ages since I watched it - I didn't realize it wasn't available anywhere. Glad your mom was up to visiting for awhile also and see her grandsons.

piecefulwendy said...

We used to watch Northern Exposure - I can still hear the theme song (and see the moose!). They will be fun to watch during the winter months. I saw that Kathy Schmitz stitchery and immediately wondered if you'd jump in.

Libby in TN said...

Ooh, I might have to jump into that stitch-along! I figured you'd pick blue. I have so much floss, I think I'll go multi-color. The setting is one of my favorites.

Angela said...

Yes, to Northern Exposure. That was a good show. Enjoy it!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Thursday, Diann. I hope you have had a great week thus far. Such a lovely photo of your dear mom and son. I am so glad y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Great idea on exchanging gifts early. I loved Northern Exposure- I had forgot about the show until you mentioned it. Have a wonderful afternoon. Hugs

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my--your post was 'bad' for me--as it reminded me I wanted to do this too--
so I just order the panel and some matching check to go with it --and guess what color I chose????--But can't seem to find the thread information???
hugs, di

PaintedThread said...

Yay for a lovely Thanksgiving. I like your stitch a long pattern. That will be fun! I watched a few episodes of Northern Exposure... oddly enough I remember giving the complete series to a friend of mine!

Susie H said...

Our Wal-Mart Christmas cards arrived yesterday! Yup! Time to get them stuffed with the past year's events, addressed, and stamped. I also love getting the cards. On another note, I toyed with the Kathy Schmitz embroidery panel but opted out since I have so many SALs going right now that won't be ending anytime too soon. Would love to be jumping on the Bonnie Hunter Mystery too! UGH!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just loved seeing your mom there with your lovely quilt over the chair. Yes to such happy family times. How neat to exchange gifts and yes,we loved Northern Exposure too, haven't thought of that in years. I too looked at Kathy's pretty panel but decided not to just now. Really have to focus on the WIPs. Great photo of you and Mike!!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I loved Northern Exposure! I'm jealous that you can now watch again. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving with your family.