Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

I Like Thursday #352

There's a fall feel in the air around here.  The afternoons are still warm, but evenings and mornings are very cool.   My garden is just about finished, too.  We've enjoyed those tomatoes I picked last week, and I made one last batch of pickles from the cucumbers.


This pot of flowers is still happy, though.  Maybe because I gave it a fertilizer boost a few weeks ago when we were going to be having some family over for a backyard picnic.


We took a little trip to the Celestial Seasonings Tea factory in Boulder the other day.  Our son had never been there before, and has been enjoying having a cup of tea every evening when he's working.  There's an interesting factory tour and then a shop, of course.  The tour costs $5 and then they give you that much off a purchase in the store.  We got $15 to spend in the store so came home with several boxes of their tea.


A week ago or so, I pulled this old quilt book off my shelf and started looking through it.  Its copyright is 1993!  The quilts are very country style, which isn't necessarily me, but I do love to make little quilts.  I wasn't even a quilter in 1993 - I think a friend must have passed this book on to me from her stash.


I got to this one ⬇️ and decided I wanted to make it!  I've been seeing framed 9 patches on different blogs, and like the look of them, so why not?!


I used some browns I had out from making the journal cover a couple weeks ago, plus a couple fall prints I bought recently (one of them has an aqua background color!), and a cream Grunge for the setting triangles.

And fussy cut a sunflower for the center!  
This measures 14.5 inches square right now, and there's a two inch border to add yet.
It's been a fun little project to sew on in between other things!
(A bunny was hanging out with me when I took this picture - can you see him there out in the grass?  I'm sure he was wondering what I was up to!)

What have you been up to this week?
Sharing at I Like Thursday over at Not Afraid of Color!
















16 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a fun little project. . .those framed nine patches look great! I'm working on two cradle quilts for Carolyn in NC this week.

Kate said...

A tea tour sounds like a cool expedition. Love your new mini. It's fun to add in a quick finish while working on bigger projects.

Helen said...

Pretty vegetables! My garden still produces a little in September, but it isn't as pretty any more.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Cute project, and a quick finish with the sunflower center. Cute bunny!!

grammajudyb said...

I picked two tomatoes yesterday. Since the plants were given to me I’m not sure of the variety. I think Romas, due to the shape. I too, like the cooler mornings and evenings. Do you have a favorite Celestial Tea? I’m fond of most, but find lemongrass makes my mouth itch! Weird! I love you brown with sunflower mini! Fun!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good morning, Diann! YUM to cucumbers and pickles and tomatoes. I love this time of year for the plentiful harvest. The tea tour sounds really interesting! That would be right up my alley. Oh, gosh! That book of Little Quilts! I was just looking at our Sunbonnet Sue Little Quilt which I am certain is from that book. I think we need to make another SBS quilt as I really enjoy her and Overall Bill. What a great project you chose to make. I love the sunflower in the center. Happy Thursday! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Sherrill said...

Do you live in Boulder (or elsewhere in CO)? I just got back from a few days in Denver and it was hot--almost as hot as here in Ft Worth! Only cool place was Pikes Peak! LOL I visited Celestial a few years ago. I enjoy tours like that--visited Kelloggs in MI years ago as well as Coors (even though I don't like beer) and others. Very interesting. My garden has been a dud due to our heat and total lack of rain--grrr.

Angela said...

Oh, I love the sunflower in the centre!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I looked at the garden the other day having not walked down to it in days and saw that I still have a few tomatoes growing - will they mature? I am not sure they could keep growing through the end of October so they might grow enough that I can pick them and let them ripen in the house. The tea store looks interesting - I used to drink tea a lot and then switched back to coffee but I still have some unopened tea in the house.

PaintedThread said...

Your harvest looks delicious. I love your little quilt top. :-)

Deb A said...

Love the produce from your garden! That is a cute quilt. Love the colors and how nice to have supervision while doing the photo shoot! My niece mentioned the tea plant and has taken a few visitors through there.

Linda said...

Your tea tour and tea bonus sounds like fun! Love your little mini, especially that fussy cut sunflower. I have a couple books of that type, purchased before I ever quilted. They are rustic for sure but fun to look through. That little rabbit is so cute.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love your new obsession cross stitching and enjoys seeing the little projects you find that are so cute. And I'm very fond of alphabets too.
I have Celestial Seasonings tea in my cupboard, very popular here and how neat to take a tour.
That is a gorgeous little quilt. Perfect in every way from the fussy cut center to the perfect blocks and the audience is sweet too.

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh I like your version of the framed nine patch ......

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your flowers look so beautiful, Diann. You certainly have the green thumb. Aaah the Little Quilts book. Now you have me wanting to piece that cutie patootie quilt. Yours is precious! Love the sunflower center. Perfect for fall. Hugs.

Jeanna said...

Oh Diane, this little Hopscotch quilt is adorable. I love the fussy cut sunflower. I look forward to seeing what fabric you use for the border.