Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, January 21, 2022

Playing with red...

I've been enjoying lots of scrap play with red this week, and it started with a new pattern!  This is Cynthia Bruns' Scrap Mixology Module #4, Bloom.  I've been wanting to make these blocks forever, and thought they would be a fun Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.  Each month I'll be making the basket bases in the color of the month, and the flower sections in whatever bits I've got that I can get a 3 inch square out of (for the HSTs).


This week I've worked on the pieces and parts for three blocks.  They finish at  8 inches.   I love the layout shown above, but inside the pattern there are a bunch of other layout ideas that will be fun to play with, too.



I also made a couple more chandelier blocks in red (they are the two middle blocks on the left), and am starting to think about how this quilt should be laid out.  It needs more blocks, but the number depends on what I want to do with them!


Two more plus blocks in red were hand-pieced, and I also decided to add a 2.5 x 6.5 inch strip of background fabric to either the top or bottom of each block so that they will be offset from each other in the quilt layout.



And one final new project - something I just wanted to play with!  After seeing Susie's Rainbow String X quilt in a recent post, I decided to make some of those blocks.  This is a free Bonnie Hunter pattern.

String pieced 10.5 x 4.5 rectangles with corners cut to make 90° angles:

I'm going with a red, blue, and gold color scheme for these.

And then side triangles will be added to make an 8.5 inch block.  Four of them together make a 14.5 inch X.

I'm going to use these as my leader/enders this year.

Lots of fun playing with the scraps!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at 





























25 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Your little baskets look so fresh with the multi-colored "flowers." Lots of good stuff happening in your sewing room!

Deb A said...

Basket quilts are so pretty! What a great leader and ender project you started - that will be fun to use up scraps.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What fun projects!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like all of the ones you are working on today - those baskets will really work out with all the colors every month

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome projects, Diann!! I've been wanting to make Cynthia's Bloom blocks, too. Enjoy them!

grammajudyb said...

You have some great blocks started, Diann. I like the looks of that String X block, especially with the aqua background. The hst on the basket blocks are tiny, but make precious baskets. What a good idea.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Every time I see your chandelier blocks I can't help but exclaim, they are so beautiful! Lovely blocks, lovely colors. I love your new little baskets too, it's going to be a bright and cute quilt. Great idea to add a unique sashing to your Plus, and lay them offset. The String Xs are going to be fun too!
Exciting projects!

Nann said...

I call them "four patch baskets." Yours are so colorful! I'll have to look up the string X....

Char said...

Wow, you've got lots of items in the works. I love the chandelier blocks and I might have to make some of those string X blocks too.

Ivani said...

Great projects, Diann!
Love how you arranged the plus blocks.
Have fun with the strings blocks.

Vivian said...

Love the basket blocks and your plan for piecing them each month. Thanks for the link to the designer's shop. I love the "use up scraps" concept for the pattern line and picked up her Module #2. I've been dying to do a colorful strings project and hers might be my new RSC project. You also can't go wrong with a good Bonnie Hunter project!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

You have so many awesome projects going on. The basket blocks are very neat, but then so are the chandelier, and the plus blocks too.

piecefulwendy said...

You have so much creative fun in your sewing room. It's really just a joy to see your posts and what you are creating!

MissPat said...

I made chandelier blocks for RSC probably 4 years ago, but never sewed them together. Guess I should finish that one up. I like how you added a strip to the plus units to offset them. Lots of good stuff going on at your place.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I like all of these!

Mari said...

Those baskets are very cute and are going to make a darling quilt. I also love the rainbow string X start. That's going to be an interesting quilt!

LA Paylor said...

it's all so good... love the baskets, well all of it really

Angie said...

Love your basket block plans - that's going to be a great RSC quilt!

Kate said...

Ooh, such fun projects! The offset crosses are going to be fun and so are the baskets.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those multi colored baskets are terrific! Bonnies string block is lovely with the aqua. . all of your projects are terrific! You have great plans!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such happy red scrap sewing! Your bloom baskets are adorable. I've always wanted to make that string pattern. I'll enjoy seeing yours come together.

Susie H said...

What a wonderful selection of beautiful RSC blocks! Had to chuckle at your inspired String X block. Yay! It looks great and you know I'll be following this one! Ha!

Jenny said...

I do like the idea of the offset plus blocks, simple but very effective.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So many lovely projects Diann. I really like how you are planning to make your basket Bloom blocks. What a great idea!

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Sandy Panagos said...

Okay, so you've given me another block I have to start making. You need to stop that! lol I love that strings block. It's going to be my new leader/ender project.